over head valve

/ over head valve #1  

slammer3364

Bronze Member
Tractor
Jinma 284
I have a 21 horse craftsman overhead valve ,the machine burns oil I talked to aguy and he wanted to replace whole engine,but someone else said it could be the overhead valve and could be repaired any thoghts on this would be appreciated

/ over head valve #2  
could be the valve seal or guide.How much oil we talking??

/ over head valve
It burns it and uses some When you engaged mower it would shut right down,tractor started right up and ran.Put anew plug in and everything worked,now plug is fowled again

/ over head valve #4  
if it puffs blue on a throttle up or a throttle increase from the governor, then it could be valve seals.

if it just plain burns it blue, then I'd be looking at oil control ring.

/ over head valve #5  
How is the rest of the machine? If you've worn out the engine, then it's likely the rest isn't exactly in stellar shape.

Time for a new one?

/ over head valve #6  
What brand of engine is this? Briggs, Kohler, Honda, Tecumseh, etc. Some Kohler models had a problem with the head gasket failing which caused them to burn oil. I have repaired two of them with this problem it the last year.

/ over head valve #7  
How is the rest of the machine? If you've worn out the engine, then it's likely the rest isn't exactly in stellar shape.

Time for a new one?

Agreed. With proper maintenance, the engine should last longer than travel parts and cutting parts

/ over head valve
machine was serviced regually and is in great shape engine is Briggs I bought a brand new ford pinto years ago What a piece of JUNK rings were bad from day one Maybe I got another one