DYT4000 transmission slipping

/ DYT4000 transmission slipping #1  

JimS

Bronze Member
Model 917.273640
The transmission started what I will call slipping. It didn't start moving right away when moving the shift lever forward or reverse. No whining or other unusual noises. I had replaced the fluid on an earlier craftsman mower with good results so figured I would do the same with this one. Basically no change in operation - in fact over some time it has gotten worse to the point it takes a long time to get going. Once it's going it seems to do alright, even going up hills with no problem.

So I need to do something. It doesn't make whiney noises like the previous one did before the fluid replacement. It just doesn't move like it should. I just ran across a thread on another board that talked about replacing the the pump and motor inside the transmission. Not sure if I should try more fluid (used the amount I looked up as I recall), different fluid, rebuild or ??

The belt is fine so that's not the problem.

Not sure what brand transmission I have. Suggestions?

/ DYT4000 transmission slipping
Looked at the nameplate. It is Hydro-Gear. Looks like it is harder to get parts for than the tuff-Torq. Model is:

314-510

I wasn't able to find any numbers like that on the Hydro-Gear site. Anyone have a cross to the Hydro Gear model?

When I changed the oil I used Valvoline 20-50 4 cycle motorcycle oil. As I recall I checked a couple places and that was the only 20-50 I found.

Just tried it again. It was a cool morning. It slipped a bit at first but then when I was really trying to observe if there was any belt slipping it wouldn't slip. Ran it around the yard very briefly and it worked fine. The belt is not loose.

/ DYT4000 transmission slipping #3  
Change the drive belt first. If it's still slipping after that you are looking at a new Hydro unit probably.

Steve