Craftsman Tractor Blades

/ Craftsman Tractor Blades #1  

dougbthom

Tractor
Sears Craftsman
Just purchased new blades for my Craftsman Tractor. My question is should the new blades have quite a sharpe cutting edge from new? The reason I ask is that these new blades have a fairly blunt cutting edge. Do I have to sharpen them somewhat myself before using? Thanks

/ Craftsman Tractor Blades #2  
Mower blades should have the approximate sharpness of a butter knife. You can sharpen them more, but they will dull to the "butter knife" profile very quickly.

/ Craftsman Tractor Blades
Thanks for the input. These blades are much blunter than the butter knife edge you refer to. I will likely give them a try once our lawn dries up enough. I may end up having to give them somewhat of a sharpening.

/ Craftsman Tractor Blades #4  
:welcome:
To the TBN forum Dougbthom. Glad you joined us here. The blades used on my Craftsman riding mower have always been dull even if I get them from Sears with the Craftsman name on them or elsewhere with the actual OEM name on them.

/ Craftsman Tractor Blades
Thanks for the welcome. Do you normally sharpen up the new blades before you use them? That's the point I'm at now. A fellow at the place where I purchased the new blades told me that it's not a good thing to have the blades razor sharpe as they will do damage to the lawn!

/ Craftsman Tractor Blades #6  
A fellow at the place where I purchased the new blades told me that it's not a good thing to have the blades razor sharpe as they will do damage to the lawn!

I need to have this explained to me.

Super dull blade tears the leaf instead of slices, leaving a shaggy cut and brown tips. Too sharp will just become dull again quick, as mentioned previously above, but "damage the lawn"?

/ Craftsman Tractor Blades #7  
Yeah, the "fellow at the place" has it backwards. I keep all my blades sharp, even the rotary cutter and flail. Makes for a nicer cut and takes less power. I can tell right away when the ZTR blades are getting dull. I start smelling burning rubber belts and hear the engine struggling in high grass. :)

You wouldn't dare run your finger along the edges of my blades. But... I don't sharpen mine like a knife; more like a chisel. The bottom side always stays flat.

/ Craftsman Tractor Blades #8  
I keep all my blades sharp, even the rotary cutter and flail. Makes for a nicer cut and takes less power.

But... I don't sharpen mine like a knife; more like a chisel. The bottom side always stays flat.

We could really start a long discussion here. I've always heard that rotary cutter blades should be kept dull, so they "batter and shatter" the larger plants. Leaves less chance they will puncture a tire or foot and makes them less likely to sprout again. Not sure it's all that important one way or another.

Definitely agree to sharpen only one side. I only do the bottom side after I hit a rock or something. :mad:

/ Craftsman Tractor Blades #9  
Yeah, I agree but I mostly cut high grass and weeds with my rotary. Any shrubs or low/broken branches on Mesquite trees still get turned it chips. 80-90% of what I keep cut is open field so a sharp blade works better for me. Whatever works best for you should be used. :cool:

/ Craftsman Tractor Blades #10  
This is from John Deere:

A narrower cutting edge can be damaged more easily and will get more nicks during use. When finished, the blade should have a 1/64 inch (.40mm) cutting edge.

Answer