LT1000 axle lube

/ LT1000 axle lube #1  

studhauler

Tractor
Cub 125, Toro 223D
It has probably been asked before, but i couldn't find it. What to use as lube in a standard transmission LT1000 lawn tractor? And how much of it? Lawn tractor model number 91727910

The stuff I am sucking out looks like a metallic goo. I got 1/2 pint out, but that is not saying it was at the proper level. I bought this mower last year, it is a low time, severely neglected rider. 20 hp, manual trans, 42" cut. It will not be used in the winter.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / LT1000 axle lube
The model number for the transaxle on my rider is MST-206-545c which is made by Peerless.

From the Tecumseh Technician’s Handbook, copy write 2002, chapter 1, page 1. “The MST Series The MST (Manual Shift Transaxle) is a sealed unit which uses 16 oz. (473 ml) of 80W90 gear lube (part #730229B). The MST series is available with up to 6 speeds forward and one reverse and has a contoured case and cover.”

There is a fill plug in the top of the transaxle almost under the driven pulley. I suck out the old oil with a manual vacuum pump, other take the transaxle out, then turn it upside-down. I put the gear lube in via a tube attached to the funnel top on most gear lube bottles, then as the bottle is positioned upside down, I cut a slot in the bottom of the bottle with a utility knife, so that it was not air locked. It took maybe about an hour for it to drain into the axle housing.