ZTS 7500 Seat Safety not shutting engine off

/ ZTS 7500 Seat Safety not shutting engine off #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
My ZTS 7500 will not shut the engine off when I get out of the seat. All the safety switches that prevent if from starting work as they should. In other words if either steering handle is not in the park position the starter will not engage. If the PTO switch is turned on the starter will not engage. No combination of anything seems to shut the engine off when I leave the seat.

History: When I got the mower the previous owner had presumably disabled the seat switch by unplugging it and connecting the wires together. This, as far as I can tell, should have prevented the engine from running at all. I have reconnected the two wires to the seat switch. The switch opens and closes when you press on the seat cushion. The seat switch is normally closed and pressing on the seat causes it to open. Tracing wires, one side is spliced to ground and the other is spliced to the M terminal on the ignition switch. This seems to match the wiring diagram I found. (attached)

The best I can tell everything is working as it should except the engine remains running with the seat switch closed. I'm thinking it might be in the ignition switch. The ignition switch starts and stops the engine but it does have a slight delay in shut down after turning the switch off. When the seat switch closes by getting out of the seat it sends a ground to the M terminal of the ignition switch. I went ahead and ordered a new ignition switch to try.

Any help in how this system operates would be appreciated. I don't want myself or anyone else to accidentally stick their foot under a deck while the blades are engaged.

zts7500-wiring.jpg

Last edited:
   / ZTS 7500 Seat Safety not shutting engine off
I am at a loss to figure this out. The seat switch works. When you get out of the seat it closes and sends a ground to the M terminal on the ignition switch. I installed a new ignition switch and it performs just as it did before. It even has the same delay after turning the switch off before the engine shuts off which seems weird but it always did that.

/ ZTS 7500 Seat Safety not shutting engine off
Problem found. As I stated the seat switch was working and would send a ground to the M terminal (purple/white wire) of the ignition switch. I finally started tracing the ground and found the black ground wire to the engine harness had been cut. Repaired the cut wire and all is good.