Craftsman GT6000 2013 Update

/ Craftsman GT6000 2013 Update #1  

ssrfenton

Tractor
None
We purchased Winter 2013 and have used this machine for 3 solid seasons excluding winter for total Hrs 145. So what can we learn about these "Value" machines that may help your next purchase.

Parts Replacement
70Hrs Anti Skid Deck Rollers replaced - Used the deck too many times as a leaf blower on the asphalt drive
100 Hrs New Battery needed.
130 Hrs New front Wheel bearings installed (replaced worn bushings)...Noted steering getting stiff
135 Hrs Engine Oil change, Fuel filter, Oil Filter, Spark Plugs. All OEM Craftsman Products..+ new oil engine plug.
140 Hrs Pulled 54inch deck and power washed clean...Some paint removed and surface rust with some dried grass. Spray painted underside of deck with canned product to clean up any potential surface issues. All necessary spindles greased..
145Hrs Tractor starts but will not move....Found V Belt transmission Idle Pulley "Melted" in half??? Ordered replacement. Transmission oil changed, new OEM filter Installed. New Anti Skid Deck Rollers ordered as others are looking flat..

Comments
The steering stiffness was due to worn bushings and lack of grease on steering components including steering shaft and plate. Once maintained the tractor has never turned easier...Need to look at these components annually.

The engine oil drained black and the motor used to smoke a little on start. Also, Used a little oil BUT found out it was the Oil Drain valve that was loose with oil very slowly leaking. Here is the kicker...You cannot get a socket on this valve as it sits on the frame. So I unscrewed by hand (that's how loose) and replaced it with a standard square head plug for $0.89. With new oil etc...Engine runs great, no smoke.

Transmission was a concern because I tow my 1,200 Lbs (Utility trailer loaded) of landscape material all over the property and thought the oil would burn up, so I purchased 20W50 mobile 1 and replaced that today. What I found was that the drained oil was very clean indicating the transmission is not as stressed as I thought. So Hydro Gear G730 is working great. I can say the OEM transmission filter would not twist off without me having to drill right through it and turn it via a extension drive. The OEM replacement has indentations so a filter socket will easily remove it when needed.

Transmission drive belt tension pulleys seems to the weak link but the part is readily available just a pig to replace in that tight spot. The brake lever was disconnected so the plate could be removed...Can't wait to receive new pulley and get back to work hauling dirt

Conclusion
I know many do not maintain these units but I feel that for years of service these price point tractors require a more annual attention than I originally thought. Still, I am very pleased with the performance, mows great but I do not use to push snow in Michigan winter...

/ Craftsman GT6000 2013 Update #2  
Good appraisal. :thumbsup:
Maintenance is just as important here as on higher-end products.

I would say 130 hrs was too long to wait for Oil/Filter change. You should plan to do this annually. Had this been done you would have discovered the loose fitting earlier perhaps?

General greasing of steering, wheel bearings (remove wheel if no grease fitting) etc should be at 6-monthly intervals. Except for:

Spindle bearings - These should be grease as often as possible. Every time you mow or at lease monthly if hours are low-ish.

Plastic idler pulleys are considered a 'consumable' item to be replaced almost bi-annually to prevent them failing and hence melting when the bearing seizes.

Regards,
:wrench:

/ Craftsman GT6000 2013 Update
Since this product has the Kohler Engine a local "Kohler Service Tech" has agreed to service my Sears Tractor on an Annual Basis...Pickup and Delivery and Service $109.99 + $5 Freight. He will also service the mower deck, Belts etc...

This will ensure the seasonal times I miss these events, failure will not snowball into a 10 day downtime which is what I have now PLUS the time to dismantle and install components. Lets see how that program works out...

/ Craftsman GT6000 2013 Update #6  
Just tossing it out there, but I also have a G730 transaxle with a Kohler Courage on a Craftsman GT Excellerator that now has just a shade under 600 hours on it. I mow all hills with it, run weights and chains, and it is a beast.

In 7 years and 600 hours it has had 1 battery, 1 set of deck and hydro drive belts, a few pulley pedestals and a few ant-scalp wheels. I've changed the oil/filter in the hydro unit 3 times, 200 hours to get Amsoil in it, 400 hours with Amsoil again, and I just did it last month at 550 hours with Amsoil. I also adjust the valves every oil change. She still looks and runs almost like new, but the hydro unit is starting to weaken. I've never had a Craftsman/Husqvarna garden tractor hydro unit last like this, this thing really is a beast! It has been the most powerful, most reliable, best cutting garden tractor I've used. I hate the frame flex.... but love everything else about this beastly machine.

I expect to get another 100-200 hours out of it before the hydro pump gets too worn to push the 32 degree bank... at least I hope to get that.

Attachments

• Craftsman Excellerator GT 1.jpg
    Craftsman Excellerator GT 1.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 1,100
  • 32 degree slope.jpg
    32 degree slope.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 177
  • Mid peak looking back.jpg
    Mid peak looking back.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Far end back.jpg
    Far end back.jpg