Mower cuts better in reverse ?

/ Mower cuts better in reverse ? #1  

LS Tractor Owner

Tractor
LS XG3025 TLB, Previously MT125 TLB, Craftsman GTS6500
I have a DGS6500 26hp, 54" cut deck. When the grass is high, or I'm cutting in a weedy area, it leaves a bunch of uncut grass. Not so much like a strip, but just random clumps of grass. When the blades are freshly sharpened, it only leaves an occasional uncut clump. Do I need to sharpen the blades before every cutting? One thing I noticed is if I back up over the same pass, it cuts beautifully. I can go into an uncut area in reverse and it will also cut everything (really weird to me). I cut about 3-4 acres at a time. It's not just lawn grass, but a lot of weeds and scrub grass mixed in. Any thoughts?

/ Mower cuts better in reverse ? #2  
What Height setting are you using when cutting 'high grass' ?

How fast are you travelling forwards compared to reverse mowing?

Weeds & scrub grass will dull your blades quickly. You have a 'lawn mower' which I wouldn't abuse on 3-4 acres of scrub...

/ Mower cuts better in reverse ?
What Height setting are you using when cutting 'high grass' ?

How fast are you travelling forwards compared to reverse mowing?

Weeds & scrub grass will dull your blades quickly. You have a 'lawn mower' which I wouldn't abuse on 3-4 acres of scrub...

I will usually cut at about 5-6" when it's about a foot high. If it is 7-8", I'll drop it down to about 4". I was recently able to get a mower for my subcompact so I'll be using that for the open acres, but still need to use the garden tractor up close to the buildings and landscaped areas. I guess I'll just sharpen more frequently.

/ Mower cuts better in reverse ? #4  
Cutting 'half' the height on 12" tall grass. I think you're working it out of its comfort zone at 6". The general "Rule of Thumb" ( :thumbsup: ) is 1/3 of the height so you need to be up at 8"- 9". That's not feasible on a Ride-on.

As I suggested, it's a 'lawn mower' You aren't mowing "lawn".

/ Mower cuts better in reverse ? #6  
Need to mow more often - 12 inches is a bit much for a lawn mower. In our town you would have a violation sign in your yard at 8 inch. Another reason I have a tractor and live in the country.

/ Mower cuts better in reverse ? #7  
2458n - I think that's why a lot of us live in the country. My grass is EXACTLY the height I want it and I don't give a HOOT what the town, twelve miles away thinks.

Anyhow - I have a JD G100 RIDING MOWER. I cut everything from grass that 3" high to my meadow that 4 feet high. And, yes, the poor 'ol mower will grunt, groan and puke on the 4 foot meadow grass. But I go slow - back up often - and go back over a lot of areas in the opposite direction. Its only about 3/4 of an acre and I will mow it 2x annually. If I had a bigger meadow or mowed more frequently, I'd probably get a bush hog to use on the tractor.

I sharpen the blades once a year and have never had to replace any belt or any of the three blades. I'm still on the original blades after 12 years and yes, they are getting thin and well used. As long as those sharpened blades still do an aceptable job - no reason to replace.

/ Mower cuts better in reverse ? #8  
Check the deck pitch

/ Mower cuts better in reverse ? #9  
Agreed with the others.. it's cutting too high / to high of grass, and you are dealing with tire rolled grass when forward.. but not so much backwards.

Different mower / mow more often.

/ Mower cuts better in reverse ?
Blades on backwards? I just had to say it.:D

I was actually waiting for this reply!!!! The crazy thing is I actually Looked underneath to make sure!!!!!