Main pulley bolt dropped out

/ Main pulley bolt dropped out #1  

ning

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
We've got a Sears DYS4500, and the bolt holding the main pulley/clutch assembly fell out yesterday... didn't expect that.

The threads at the end of the bolt are stripped; I'm guessing the stayed in the hole after loosening up a bit, because a new bolt won't go in without stripping the threads on that new bolt 😯

What's the best way to clean out the threads in the hole? Get a thread cutter in the appropriate size? The bolt does start to thread in but only for a couple of turns.

/ Main pulley bolt dropped out
We've got a Sears DYS4500, and the bolt holding the main pulley/clutch assembly fell out yesterday... didn't expect that.

The threads at the end of the bolt are stripped; I'm guessing the stayed in the hole after loosening up a bit, because a new bolt won't go in without stripping the threads on that new bolt 😯

What's the best way to clean out the threads in the hole? Get a thread cutter in the appropriate size? The bolt does start to thread in but only for a couple of turns.
In case a pic helps, I think there's some metal clogging the threads. I'm thinking a chaser... tomorrow, after I have chaser tonight if my own IMG_20180408_143337.jpg

/ Main pulley bolt dropped out #3  
What I am wondering is, 'what stripped the bolt. I have seen that happen when trying to break it loose with an impact wrench or something similar.

Yes, it appears that the bolt seized to shaft, either by rust if both are steel or that the shaft is aluminum and anti-seizing was not used when the bolt was put in.

I think it came loose most of the way and then the last few threads stripped because the bolt was so far out that it no longer kept everything tight and together. I'll post a pic of the bolt tomorrow in case that helps.

Local NAPA dealer didn't have a thread chaser in this size, so I used a thread tap and cleaned the threads out (made sure it was threading on to the threads correctly before turning much). It didn't take much resistance and cleaned the threads out nicely, so I got the new bolt in holding the pulley well, and so far so good (other than the engine intermittently running rough, a matter for a different thread).
TY for the advice in the thread.