Sears Parts Availability (or lack of it)

/ Sears Parts Availability (or lack of it) #11  
Someone once told me that companies only had to make replacement parts available for 7 years after the main unit goes out of production. Don't know if this is true or not, but it would explain why they don''t stock parts for older equipment.

/ Sears Parts Availability (or lack of it) #12  
What a company has to do and what they will do are different things and shows their level of commitment to customer service, IMO.

I remember working on DEC (Digital Equipment Corp.) machines and they still had parts available for 25 year old computers!!! Generally they were way expensive, but never a problem getting them.

/ Sears Parts Availability (or lack of it) #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Someone once told me that companies only had to make replacement parts available for 7 years after the main unit goes out of production. )</font>
The only requirments I remember about reading were for the automotive industry in where they had to provide parts for at least 10 years, after which they generally sold off their inventories to stockers who would sell them for much higher prices. I don't know if that rule is still in place, or if there is one for other equipment. John

/ Sears Parts Availability (or lack of it) #14  
I've had the same problem with Sears parts dept. My wife bought me an 18v 1/2" professional drill and after two years the clutch went out (of coarse so did the waranty) I tore it apart and the clutch was made out of plastic, when I tried to get a replacment clutch they said that I had to buy the motor and clutch together for $180. but that part was unavailable. The local tool repair shop said they couldn't repair it because it was 'SEARS" and they couldn't get parts. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Sears Parts Availability (or lack of it) #15  
I bought a used 1969 Sears bandsaw and needed a few parts. I went on-line to sears parts department. I was amazed to find a complete on-line parts breakdown . I ordered a manual and the other parts and got them in a few days! I'm still amazed!!
Back then , you fixed things and companies went to a great deal of effort to revise existing products to correct problems and keep producing the same model year after year. Mass production and interchangable parts is what made this country! Now, things are computer generated CAD developed and no-one even knows how the things work anymore. So , instead of revising a product to make it better, they just redesign the whole thing from scratch! ( and import it!) I see it as just another straw on the camels back, or is that Lady Liberty's back?

YoYo

/ Sears Parts Availability (or lack of it) #16  
krichard,

The windings on the transformer are burnt black as coal. If there is a fuse it did not work. I broke down and purchased a new Sears battery charger. I liked the old one so much.

OrangeGuy

/ Sears Parts Availability (or lack of it) #17  
Jibber; Around here among people who use tools everyday, craftsman is pronounced Crapman. I gave up like you did with the power tools. The only reason I still buy thier handtools such as wrenches, is the warranty on them. But even those are 2nd rate. I own a Crapman radialarm saw that was my grandfathers. I believe he bought it around 1963. That one is a pretty good saw. The new ones I wouldn't waste the fuel to go pick it up at the store.

I agree completely about the service you get on the phone also. Even the phone companies and especially the computer companies are doing the same. Some of their "help" can barely speak English let alone understand it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Sears Parts Availability (or lack of it) #18  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( ""Some of their "help" can barely speak English let alone understand it. "" )</font>

Cannot refuse to hire them, tho' /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Doing the job isn't a requirement anymore. Plus, they vote, which is how the spiral 'in that direction' will keep gaining momentum.

/ Sears Parts Availability (or lack of it) #19  
Actually most tech support jobs are being displaced to India. Thats right, when you call Dell Tech support your call is routed to someone in India!!

If you want to talk to a native english speaking Dell tech support person choose corporate tech support, then you get to talk to a Texan or Canadian!!

/ Sears Parts Availability (or lack of it)
Agreed. My mother worked at Sears and I used to feel some loyalty. Not anymore. I buy brand name tools now. The last major purchase I made at Sears was an Ingersol Rand air compressor.. a big one.. 1000 dollars. The idiots who delivered it bent the pulley cage beyond use and broke the pressure switch.

Also, when you go in the stores around here (suburban NYC) the clerks are mostly high school kids who know absolutely nothing about the stuff their selling.. that is.. when they will take a break from talking to each other to "help" you.