Replacement blades for Craftsman 50" mower Deck?

/ Replacement blades for Craftsman 50" mower Deck? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
Replacement blades for Craftsman 50\" mower Deck?

Does anyone know of another source (besides Sears) of replacement blades for a Craftsman Garden Tractor with a 50" Mower Deck? THey've got a wierd star-shaped hub. I've not been able to find anyone else who sells them.

Over the last few years, the quality of the replacement blades I get from Sears has deteriorated noticably. It used to be they'd take quite a beating, and just need the occasional re-sharpening. Now, blades break or bend the first time they hit anything other than grass. It seems that the quality of the steel and/or the heat treating has dropped a lot. (These problems predate the current steel shortage). It has me wondering if Sears switched suppliers or something.

Any thoughts on where to find higher-quality replacements?

John Mc

/ Replacement blades for Craftsman 50" mower Deck? #2  
Re: Replacement blades for Craftsman 50\" mower Deck?

John,
You might want to take a look on this sight.

Gator Replacement blades

Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Replacement blades for Craftsman 50" mower Deck? #3  

John, I'm not sure whether the older blades were any better quality to hold up to a beating or whether it's just that the old ones had the normal round hole in the center which would let them slip a little maybe on the spindle when they hit something, and now that new star shape prevents any slippage at all. I hit a little stump that had been cut pretty close to the ground and I'd just been mowing across it, but that time I was mowing the grass shorter and the blade didn't clear it. And sure enough it bent the blade so badly that it made a tiller out of that mower. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Replacement blades for Craftsman 50" mower Deck? #4  

Check with Agri Supply , they have a lot of blades for the AYP decks. That's where I buy mine for a 42" deck.

Check this page

/ Replacement blades for Craftsman 50" mower Deck? #5  

These guys are sometimes a bit cheaper then Sears

outdoorproducts

Kurt

/ Replacement blades for Craftsman 50" mower Deck? #6  

Sears offeres a heavy duty blade for the 42" deck. I have been using them and they last a lot longer but they are pretty expensive (big suprise). I dont know if they are available for the 50" deck or not.

Kurt

/ Replacement blades for Craftsman 50" mower Deck?

Bird -

The blades have always had the star-shaped hole in the center. It's the only thing that will fit on the hubs of this model of Sears mower deck. No possibility for slip.

I've been suprised at how easily the new ones bend. Also, I've had about 4 of them break and send the last 3 or 4" of one end of one of the blades flying. The set I had on a few years ago took a LOT more abuse... I was turning an abandoned pasture into some rough lawn. By now, most of the rocks and all of the stumps and debris are gone.

John Mc

/ Replacement blades for Craftsman 50" mower Deck? #8  

I have the same deck on my Craftsman and Sears sells a premium blade which is painted silver instead of black. If I remember right the sell for about $13.00 per blade. Still not the best blade that I have seen but hold up better than the black ones.

/ Replacement blades for Craftsman 50" mower Deck?

I've been buying the silver painted ones, and that's what I'm not getting any life out of. I can't find the black ones at my local Sears. I was under the impression that the only thing premium about them was that they were "high lift". I didn't realize they claim better durability for them as well.

John Mc

/ Replacement blades for Craftsman 50" mower Deck? #10  

John.... what's the model number on your garden tractor?