Craftsman GT5000 Discharge Problems

/ Craftsman GT5000 Discharge Problems #1  

RuffCut

Tractor
Kubota B7100, Craftsman GT5000
Last year I bought a Craftsman GT5000 25/48 last year after previously owning and wearing out two other 2 blade riders (the red Wal-Mart ones). After studying prior to buying I was convinced I was was getting an upper tier consumer grade mower, but knowing it wasn't commercial grade. The problem I'm running into is, that with normal grass height, dry afternoon conditions, chlorophyl that would be expected with spring grass, I'm having a huge problem keeping the deck discharging as it should. Have removed the blades and had a mower tech verify they are discharge type blades as opposed to mulching. Have scraped the deck clean underneath. But I find that all areas under the deck that don't actually have the blade turning through it become packed with grass buildup. I realize that discharging grass across a 48" deck can get tough, but I feel that this is building up too rapidly. It's built up to the point that it's cost me a secondary drive belt already this year (a $44 belt btw). I mow with the deflector raised 45 degrees with a bungee, but that only helps with not making "wind rows" of grass in the yard, and doesn't decrease the buildup underneath the deck. Electric blade clutch engaging fine and blade speed seems good. You can actually hear the suction under the deck, but somehow it just doesn't move clippings across and out of the deck as well as expected. I was actually able to mow my lawn faster with the 42" two blade mower faster due to the fact that I could get a clean cut with greater ground speed. Has anyone else experienced this and found anything that helps? Thanks in advance...

RuffCut <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font>

/ Craftsman GT5000 Discharge Problems #2  
It sounds like everything ok! It's just part of spring cutting!Just hang in there!

/ Craftsman GT5000 Discharge Problems #3  
not really familar with that unit, i have a 13 year old craftsman 18hp gt and in the spring when grass is thick and juicy i get build up also. not sure it is a problem with the crafstman line just the grass conditions.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Discharge Problems #4  
Heck, I have the same problem with my 22" Craftsman push mower. I usually use it up around the house, next to and under the split rail fence, and around my little pine trees. I'm constantly stopping and clearing the discharge chute. Spend more time doing that than I do actually mowing.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Discharge Problems #5  
You didn't mention what throttle setting or gear range you are using. If you have half throttle and mid gear range, you're not spinning the blades fast enough to discharge. Try it at full throttle and a lower gear see if that doesn't help.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Discharge Problems #6  
I have a similar mower to yours. Mine is a 23hp/50inch deck. I had the same problem until I cleared the top of the mower deck, around the mower heads. There's a couple of vents there that allow air in so you get flow out the chute. See if the top of the deck is clear. If this doesn't take care of your problem, the grass may be too long or too wet.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Discharge Problems #7  
I have a similar model but with the 50 inch deck (which is rumored to be worse for discharge). The best thing that happened to it was that I tore off (accidentally) the plastic safety chute. It discharged much better after that.

It's not as safe though.

This time of year I should be cleaning the deck more than I am. A clean deck makes a big difference. I think if the grass is long enough and is retaining enough moisture then it is going to clog most belt driven mowers.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Discharge Problems #8  
I have the exact same model you have. I have never had this problem personally, at least not on that model. I always mow in second high at full throttle and have few problems unless it is wet. I have run into this problem with my little push mower when the blade is dull. I can tell you though that the best thing I ever did was switch to Gator Blades this year. I can mow with the chute down and not windrow even if I am several days late cutting. And they were WAY less expensive than OE blades.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Discharge Problems #9  
I have the same mower, with a manual transmission. The only problems I've had is when the grass is damp, cutting too much at once, or going too fast. I've gone to gator blades as others have mentioned, but I leave the mulch plug in. It seems to leave a better finish. I also mow in 4th gear (1 high), any faster and I can't accurately mow around the trees, shrubs, etc. I think if the lawn was smoother, with less obstacles, I could mow in 5th (2 high), but I think I would remove the mulch plug to reduce the grass build up.

/ Craftsman GT5000 Discharge Problems #10  
Hello, new member here. I too own a GT5000 with the 54" deck. I have owned mine since January of this year and experience similar buildup with my deck.

Mine tends to build up in the front part of the deck the worst, and does tend to be worse if the grass has a higher moisture content.

What I have tried to do is just cut more often and not cut as much off each time and this seems to help. However, I still find myself running it up on ramps and spending 20 minutes cleaning it out after each mow.

Hope that helps!