Craftsman 19.0HP Briggs VS Cub Cadet 19HP Kohler

/ Craftsman 19.0HP Briggs VS Cub Cadet 19HP Kohler #1  

mikeusaf

I'm buying my poor father a tractor for father's day so he doesn't die of heatstroke while push mowing his 1 acre lawn. I own a Craftsman twin cylinder 21HP tractor that I bought in 2001 and haven't had any problems with it other than replacing the deck but I’m hard on tractors.

I'm going to get one of 2 tractors and would like your opinion. If you were my father which one would you like to get for father's day?

Craftsman 19.0 hp 42 in. Deck Lawn Tractor
Sears item #07127518000 Mfr. model #27518
Link

OR

Cub Cadet 19HP* Kohler® Courage™ Single Cylinder Engine
Model #: LT 1042
Link

I can get either tractor for about $1,300.00

I prefer a twin engine tractor with more horsepower but don't believe he'll need it. He has a very flat 1 acre and isn't rough on tractors like I am so I believe either of these will do.

Any guidance or advice or personal opinions would greatly be appreciated.

Mike

/ Craftsman 19.0HP Briggs VS Cub Cadet 19HP Kohler #2  
I have a cub cadet 1515 that I really like. 15hp instead of the 19HP you are looking at, but HP has not been the limiting factor for me usually. Traction is. That said, I pulled my buddies truck free with it Sunday when he got stuck in my driveway. I was already on the lawn mower when he got stuck and I did it mostly to make fun of his 2wd pickup, but the mower pulled like a champ. I just wished I had gotten it on video....

/ Craftsman 19.0HP Briggs VS Cub Cadet 19HP Kohler #3  
You would do better with your questions about lawn tractors in the Lawn & Garden forum.

/ Craftsman 19.0HP Briggs VS Cub Cadet 19HP Kohler #4  
Can I ask a question to your question.
I have a Craftsman with a Kohler and they're great tractors. However, when I did have an issue I needed to haul the tractor to their repair center which was a haul. Does the Cub have repair centers around and where is the nearest Sears repair center??

/ Craftsman 19.0HP Briggs VS Cub Cadet 19HP Kohler #5  
I would go for the Cub even if they had identical engines by the same manufacturer. I think they are a liitle stouter machine overall and Cub has servicing dealers pretty much nationwide. FWIW, you should not have had to completely replace a deck already unless you bash in to things with regularity...even on an AYP tractor IMO.

Slam

/ Craftsman 19.0HP Briggs VS Cub Cadet 19HP Kohler #6  
I think I would probably go with the Sears Craftsman. Here are my reasons:

1) Parts availability for the Craftsman is tough to beat. I have no doubt that there are better machines on the market, however, the ease of buying Craftsman parts is hard to match.
2) You mention that the Cub Cadet is powered by a single-cylinder engine. If this is, in fact, true; I think the twin-cylinder B&S on the Craftsman will run more smoothly and with less vibration.

In the end, they are both capable machines and I doubt you will regret your decision either way. As a previous Craftsman owner (I now own a Kubota BX1800), I believe that I received good value, trouble-free operation, and ease of maintenance and repair.

BrokerBob

/ Craftsman 19.0HP Briggs VS Cub Cadet 19HP Kohler #7  
If you are happy with the tractor you have and it looks comparable to the other model go with what you are familiar with. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

/ Craftsman 19.0HP Briggs VS Cub Cadet 19HP Kohler #8  
Welcome to the forum! The link you gave for the Craftsman show it has a kholer engine not a Briggs as your post states, but any how i like the 2 cylinder for an engine that size. I have a Brigs 18 hp on my 13 year old Craftsman (about 125 hrs a year) and have done nothing but chage plugs , oil and 1 starter motor.

/ Craftsman 19.0HP Briggs VS Cub Cadet 19HP Kohler #9  
Sorry but i forgot to mention, that what you are doing for your Dad is a wonderful thing! No matter which one you decide on i am sure he will love and think of you everytime he fires it up.

/ Craftsman 19.0HP Briggs VS Cub Cadet 19HP Kohler #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Sorry but i forgot to mention, that what you are doing for your Dad is a wonderful thing! No matter which one you decide on i am sure he will love and think of you everytime he fires it up. )</font>

My thoughts exactly Frank!