Hydrogear Transaxle problems Craftsman Tractor

/ Hydrogear Transaxle problems Craftsman Tractor #1  

falcon64

Hi all,
I'm having problems with the hydrogear transaxle model 140343 in my '96 Craftsman garden tractor model 917.251490 that got progressively worse. After mowing for awhile, approx. 45 minutes to an hour) the tractor would suddenly quit moving forward no matter how far ahead the motion lever is pushed. After moving a ways in reverse several times (always operates in this gear)and then back to forward it will normally work ok for a little while and then go back to the same behaviour. It's now reached the point where it happens after a very short time of operation. After talking to a Hydrogear distributor, I'm suspecting a problem with the pump (model BDU-10L-118) which is an external unit. I'm seriously considering tackling this repair myself as the lowest price I could find for the pump alone was $349.00! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hydrogear Transaxle problems Craftsman Tractor #2  
Wow... not sure what to tell you. How much is a rebuild kit for the pump? If it's on it's last leg, you might even what to try a thicker oil. That might hold you off for a while.

/ Hydrogear Transaxle problems Craftsman Tractor #3  
Knowing that the GT is about 10 years old, why not just treat yourself to a brand new one? My guess is it would only cost you maybe double of what you need to put into this one without all the aggravation.

/ Hydrogear Transaxle problems Craftsman Tractor
Thanks for the replys guys! I would love to have a new tractor, however finances just won't allow it (won't go there) so I guess as soon as I get the repair manual I have coming I'll consult the trouble shooting section and dig in and get it fixed. Don't know how much the parts will cost yet, but I suspect I'll soon find out. I wish I could say thicker oil would help, but considering the symptoms it dosen't seem logical. I'm also going to call Hydrogear and talk to a tech there in the hopes they'll lend some insight. Wish me luck.

/ Hydrogear Transaxle problems Craftsman Tractor #5  
I realize this is an old post but I am having a similar problem with the same model transaxle. A local repair shop told me I need a new transaxle and offered to scrap it for me. I took it home and drove it around after purging the system per the owners manual. I went one step further. While removing debris from underneath and around the cooling fan, I observed a filter on the transaxle meaning there must be a need to clean the fluid and or replace it due to use. I mow in a very dusty environment thus I'm certain the oil will experience additional ware and contamination. I pulled the filter and as you would expect, the oil was filthy and thin, 19 years old and had some milky look to it meaning moisture has made its way to the fluid. There is no drain plug on the transaxle however there is a tube leading from the filter housing to the bottom of the transaxle as part of the circulation system. Am having difficulty removing the bottom fitting the hose leads to and am uncertain whether or not the fitting comes apart allowing the fitting elbow to be removed from the transaxle allowing for the draining of the fluid. Do you happen to know if the bottom fitting comes apart or can the rubber hose be cut off and reattached without the use of hose clamps. It has none now and does not appear to be a high pressure hose of any type. Additionally, do you know what oil goes back into this transaxle once drained and the filter replaced. Appreciate any advice you can offer!

/ Hydrogear Transaxle problems Craftsman Tractor #6  
The oil and filter do need to be changed every season or two. The oil is 20-50 some people use synthetic and it takes 70-80 ounces depending on model. There is a Wix hydraulic filter # 57023 . The hose will come off the fitting and just put on a stainless hose clamp. Let it drain at least overnight. Also the debris on it underneath the fan should be Blown off after every use if in dusty conditions. HEAT build up is hard on the hydrostats. Don't use high pressure washer. When filling leave about an inch space on top of reservoir. The air will have to be purged after at about 1/2 throttle slowly work the direction control forward and backward 4-5 times with a few second pause each way.

Last edited: