Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L2800DT

Default Why has Sears stop making this riding mower?

Hi, I was going to buy a 27 hp Sears riding mower and Sears has stop making them for some reason. You can only buy the 24 hp one now. So I went to Lowes store and it's the same there you can only buy a 24 HP and not a 27HP riding mower.

Thanks, Terry

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

Default Re: Why has Sears stop making this riding mower?

I don't thing Sears 'makes' anything. They contract with suppliers to do the 'making' and they just do the selling. But have heard that Sears has a pretty rigid testing procedure and inspection of supplied parts and things, so the standards are reasonably high.

Likely, that size was not a 'winner' on the market, and that drives most of their decisions as to whether they will 'carry' certain models.

Sorry you are disappointed in Sears. That happened to me many years ago. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Mahindra 2810HST

I know Kohler had some issues with the 27hp motor. Mine started smoking around 100 hours. Sears tech noticed some piston slap on 3rd visit. The store I bought it from swapped the whole tractor out for a new one. I even got upgraded from the gear to the hydro. The new one has a 26hp Briggs. So far so good but, I only got the new one in the late summer-early fall.

Tractor
    2005 MF GC2300

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hi, I was going to buy a 27 hp Sears riding mower and Sears has stop making them for some reason. You can only buy the 24 hp one now. So I went to Lowes store and it's the same there you can only buy a 24 HP and not a 27HP riding mower.

Thanks, Terry )</font>

I asked a Sears salesperson about the DGT6000 series and was told that they still sell them, but don't keep them in stock. I was also told that the new 6000's came with a B&amp;S.

In 2003 I purchased a DGT6000 with a 27 Hp. Kohler Pro (CH740) and have been very pleased with its performance.

Although I don't have 100 hours on it yet, I guess I need to start crossing my fingers that this engine isn't in the batch that was having problems. One of the first things that I did was install an oil cooler on it and after the first 50 hours changed to Mobil-1 Synthetic 10W30 and a Mobil-1 filter.

One of the problems that the Kohler engines were having was
    the head gaskets were being blown because the engine were being shut off without first being allowed to idle for a few minutes, which ususlly resulted in a backfire.

Here's a site which has a discussion concerning the subject.
    http://tinyurl.com/asskh

Tractor
    Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac

The last I knew MTD made most all of the models sold at sears.

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D2300

American Yard Products, part of the Electrolux group, makes mowers for Sears. They also make Husqvarna, Poulan, (also Electrolux brands) and some other store brands.