Snap On vs. Craftsman!!!

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #1  

DEERSLAYER

Tractor
MASSEY FERGUSON 1220
Are Snap On tools really made that much better than Craftsman to justify the big price difference? I have alot of Craftsman and a few Snap On and I just don't know, for instance the craftsman pro polished ratchets seem pretty nice. What do you guys think?

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #2  
DEERSLAYER said:
Are Snap On tools really made that much better than Craftsman to justify the big price difference? I have alot of Craftsman and a few Snap On and I just don't know, for instance the craftsman pro polished ratchets seem pretty nice. What do you guys think?

The short answer to your question is "No", in my opinion. Some may disagree, so I'll explain a bit for those who don't know how Snap-On and the other "truck" brands work. Snap-On, MAC, and Matco have much in common; good quality products sold from trucks which visit mechanics on a weekly basis. In more recent times, you might also include Cornwell, and even Craftsman, to some extent.

The prices are very high, but you're paying for more than quality in the tools, and they are really only meant for "professional" mechanics. The mechanics pay the high prices for several of reasons: (1) they don't have to go shopping for the tools they need; the truck comes to them, (2) if they need warranty service, they don't have to go to a store; the truck will be there every week, and (3) perhaps the most important reason - they usually do NOT pay for the tools when they get them. They have a charge account with the truck and make weekly payments, usually with no interest.

Snap-On sells good products, but no better, no worse than MAC or Matco. When my brothers were mechanics, they had tools from all three. They later became Matco distributors and I went to the training school myself so I could relieve them on the trucks, if necessary. I also repaired/rebuilt air tools from all the companies. In fact, the local Snap-On distributor, while a competitor, was also a friend of my brothers and sent me his air tools for repair because I'd get them back to him quicker than if he sent them in to Snap-On.

So, you'll get good tools from any of them. And, as with any company, they'll occasionally put something out that isn't so good. Even Snap-On had one particular model of half inch impact wrench that I would not work on because there is simply no way it can be made to have the power buyers expect.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #3  
Craftsman maeks some real good tools, but they also make some junk.
I've got some Snap-On and a bunch of Craftsman.. Word to the wise, if you go to return a broken Craftsman tool don't do it wearing your work clothes, Craftsman doe snot warranty their tools for professional work. Snap-On just replaces or repairs it.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #4  
DEERSLAYER said:

Snap-On is absolutely that much better than Craftsman. You need to use them enough to justify the cost, but they are all that and a bag of chips. If you're just an occasional tool user, maybe they're not for you. If you do a lot of wrenching and/or plan on keeping your tools for a LOOOOOONG time, they're a worthwhile investment.

Wrenches and sockets fit nuts and bolts better. They don't round off shoulders on bolts like some tools. Their shape makes working with them easier. Screwdrivers have a grip that is easy to hold. I especially like my Snap-On gear pullers and air tools.

I've got a bunch of bucks invested in my Snap-On's. They don't leave the shop. I've got a couple sets of Craftsman tools that live in truck or tractor tool boxes. The Craftsmans get used in an emergency, but I'll do whatever it takes to get back to the shop for repairs, where the GOOD tools are at.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #5  
DEERSLAYER said:

Depends. As far as quality goes, Snap On is much better. Service from a Snap On dealer is almost always top notch. If you need tools for home or the farm then I would say Craftsman will fit the bill nicely. In a professional environment the Snap On tools are much better. They hold up much better than any other brand, in my opinion. I have tried all the brands and I own many different tools, but I find in real world every day abusive use the Snap On brand holds up the best. I do agree about the 1/2 drive impact wrench. They really have never built a good gun. The new one they now have seems to be holding up good. Magnesium case and built right here in the states. I personally use IR air tools. Much cheaper and more reliable. The 3/8 impact gun that Snap On has now is very durable. Mine is over 12 years old, never been rebuilt and is used every day. So in my opinion if I was to furnish a garage at home and basically use it for my own repairs and messing around in the shop the Craftsman tools would last a lifetime.

I did forget to mention the Snap On pullers are by far the best ever made. My first puller set was all OTC and Craftsman and one by one the just break and fall apart. Not to mention how dangerous a cheap made puller can be.
The Snap On sockets hold up excellent. They also make, in my opinion, the best line wrench ever made. When you need a good one to remove a tight brass fitting or a brake line, rest assured the only line wrench that has a chance is a Snap On.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #6  
Birdhunter1 said:
Craftsman maeks some real good tools, but they also make some junk.
I've got some Snap-On and a bunch of Craftsman.. Word to the wise, if you go to return a broken Craftsman tool don't do it wearing your work clothes, Craftsman doe snot warranty their tools for professional work. Snap-On just replaces or repairs it.
I so far havent had any problems returning tools during work hours with work clothes on yet (23years) :).
I am not saying it dosn't happen I just haven't had any problems yet.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!!
I have noticed that the bluepoint wrenches which are made by snap on look just like the much more expensive snap on branded ones. Is there a difference or are you just paying for a name?

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #8  
Back in the 60.s my mother in law worked for JH Williams, a maker of high quality tools. At times they made topls for many manufactures in raw form, raw tools were sent to the different manufactures who stamped their name in and had the plating done. I've used them all, MAC SnapOn, Craftsman. They all do the job and as far as I'm concerned, the delivery truck for SnapOn and MAC does not justify the hugh price difference.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #9  
bky said:
I so far havent had any problems returning tools during work hours with work clothes on yet (23years) :).
I am not saying it dosn't happen I just haven't had any problems yet.

The only trouble I've ever had returning Craftman tools is inventory, or lack of it. It seems my local store sucks at keeping tools in stock.
Its been my experience that the only reason to pay the price for Snap On or Mac, or Matco is the delivery service.
I do think that Craftsman quality has gone down hill in recent years. I cant seem to get a Craftsman ratchet to last more than a couple years without having some kind of trouble with it and Ive split more sockets this year than I have in my previous 40 years. Maybe Snap On, Mac and Matco have dropped in quality also, I cant say
If I were starting my tool collection over from scratch, I think I would look at the Lowes Kobalt sets. Ive got a couple Kobalt sockets (because I split my Craftman sockets and Sears didnt have any in stock) and they seem to be of good quality.
My BIL swears by S&K. He likes them so much he becamse a dealer. I dont personally have experience with S&K but knowing how quality oriented my BIL is, I have to think S&K is a decent tool.

/ Snap On vs. Craftsman!!! #10  
In 1980 I purchased $30,000 worth of Snap-On tools. I also have some Mac, Matco, Cornwell & Craftsman. I think the Cornwell are lowest quality of the bunch. I have not had many problems with Craftsman.
Since I am not in the automotive proffession any longer, I buy Craftsman if I need something I don't have.