Craftsman GT 6500

/ Craftsman GT 6500 #1  

SCDolphin

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240: Craftsman GT6500
Just got my craftman with 48" deck, not the bigger 54". It was a ball cutting grass. I had an old 40" Murray that was 12 years old with lots of hours. The B&S still runs but the rest of the deck was falling apart.
The new mower came with a Kohler courage 26 hp. I know that is their bottom end motor but maybe it will be as good as the B&S.

For 2400 $ I think it was a good deal. The spindles have zerks which the JD and other brands did not have and the hst will handle ground implements which the cheaper JD and other brands would not. Anyway I will have to lay the 10-10-10 out this year so I will have something to do.

/ Craftsman GT 6500 #2  
Congrats on the new Craftsman. :)
I own couple over the years and the tractor held up well but not the mower decks,and now I bounce on Cub Cadet....hope Craftmans added more leg room for the long legged owners.

/ Craftsman GT 6500
Thomas said:
Congrats on the new Craftsman. :)
I own couple over the years and the tractor held up well but not the mower decks,and now I bounce on Cub Cadet....hope Craftmans added more leg room for the long legged owners.

I am 6'3 and it is very comfortable, much better than last years model. How much and what model cub cadets are you referring too. For what it is work, consumer report had very poor reliability on CC. I looked at them, but maybe I need to relook. The fact that this $2400 mower had an autotran that would hold up to pulling a small disc mad this appealing.

Thanks

/ Craftsman GT 6500 #4  
The GT 6500 is a beefey machine and offers a great value - when compared to some others.

/ Craftsman GT 6500 #5  
I purchase C.C. 20hp 42"deck hst,it was left over 05 still the crate for $1950.oo just couldn't pass up the deal...Mrs. loves it.

/ Craftsman GT 6500 #6  
For the money, it's just about impossible to beat the Craftsman GT6500.

/ Craftsman GT 6500 #7  
I just did the pre season maintenance on our Craftsman LT1000, and the Kohler came right to life and she's ready for season #9, still running and looking great. If using them for the chores they are intended to do within their capabilities, (as should be with any machine) the Craftsmans are a fine tractor, with parts and service an absloute breeze. My only real complaint with the LT1000 has been slop in the steering, that it's had since day 1 and hasn't become any worse, but not really noticeable when mowing with it. I imagine the higher end Craftsmans today are much better.
-Fordlords-

/ Craftsman GT 6500 #8  
Fordlords, is the play in your wheel in the column or is it at the tie-rods area or at the steering wheel itself?
Jim:)

/ Craftsman GT 6500 #9  
Fordlords said:
....the Craftsmans are a fine tractor, with parts and service an absloute breeze.

That is one of my favorite things about Craftsman. I have a GT5000 that is about 2 years old. When I first got it, I was mowing some real rough, uneven land and I managed to knock off the nose roller. I probably hit something that jarred the cotter pin loose. Once that happened the shaft worked it's way out and I ran over and cut up the roller. That day I called the Sears 800 number and told them my situation. Two days later I recieved a new one in the mail free of charge.

/ Craftsman GT 6500 #10  
MrJimi said:
Fordlords, is the play in your wheel in the column or is it at the tie-rods area or at the steering wheel itself?
Jim:)

The play seems to be in the column. It was there when the thing was brand new, I just presumed that it was normal for a lower dollar LT. The wheel moves about 4 inches without doing anything.

-Fordlords-