Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 3510

Default Craftsman '86, 18hp, mower deck

Any suggestions on replacing oem mower deck with something a little thicker. Have replaced the deck once before, it just rusts out, seems paper thin to me.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800HST w/Frontloader & CC LTX1046

Default Re: Craftsman '86, 18hp, mower deck

I think your going to find swaping different model mowing deck will be a problem not unless your handy w/tools and metal...you could check out the tow behind mowers.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with loaded R-4s

My brother had an old Craftsman that he tried to get another deck for and he couldn't find one for a decent price. It ended up being cheaper to get a whole new machine.

Veteran Member

A month ago a neighbor put a GT 22hp Kohler hydrostatic 46" cut to the curb. It had a bad deck, flat tires and water in the carb.
    I ordered a new deck from Sears online, it cost $148. deck only plus shipping. Also new steering bushings. I ordered new spindle bearings from Bailey Sales.
    I aired the tires, cleaned the carb and tank and I have a nice mower for a total of $225.
    I have an MTD 12hp 38" cut that I have had for 14 years and it still has the original deck. I always blow it off with a air hose after use. When the grass lays on the deck it causes it to rust out a lot faster.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    tc- 29d

If you decide to order a new deck housing; while it is new and unused, take it to a pickup truck bedliner shop and have them spray bottom ( and top if wanted) with bedliner. I would think this would help protect it from rust.
    dqdave1; tc-29D; woods 7500 bh; 7308 fel, land pride tiller, land pride rake, gill pulverizer, 60"mmm. , bucket forks , MZ16H

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

I've never heard of this. Do you mow your grass when it's wet? My Craftsman mower is about ten years old and I've had it 5 years. I never wash off the deck or clean it at all. I've changed the oil, plug, filters and belt, but never cleaned off the deck. I don' thave any signs of rust, so I'm wondering why you do?

Eddie

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

Im with EDDIE MY SEARS GT IS 14 YEARS OLD i do clean the deck a few times a year , especially before storing for winter, and i have no rust what so ever.
    FRANK

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 682

Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker
    I've never heard of this. Do you mow your grass when it's wet? My Craftsman mower is about ten years old and I've had it 5 years. I never wash off the deck or clean it at all. I've changed the oil, plug, filters and belt, but never cleaned off the deck. I don' thave any signs of rust, so I'm wondering why you do?

Eddie
    My guess is this depends heavily on where you live. In a warmer climate like Tyler, TX the dryer grass will be much less acidic when cut. In western New York though, regular deck cleaning is just about a must if you want 10 or more years out of a mower deck.

Craftsman has not used a lot of interchangeability among their decks, and changed designs a lot since '86. This makes retrofitting something else to the tractor sort of a futile exercise. Unless you can locate a really good used deck for the same tractor, (unlikely) you have to get a new deck or a new tractor.

-Fordlords-
    1980 Cub Cadet 682 with 18 HP Honda GX V-Twin engine
    2008 Ariens 624 Snowblower
    2007 Craftsman by MTD 4 Cycle Weedwacker

Check out my TBN photo gallery for B4 and after pix of my CC 682 Restoration! http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/s...cat/500/page/1