Craftsman Lawn Tractor Problem

/ Craftsman Lawn Tractor Problem #1  

kraftymate

Tractor
2010 John Deere 5045D w/512 FEL and 2003 New Holland TC33 4X4 w/FEL
I seem to have started having problems with my Craftsman Lawn Tractor its a 12.5 hp 48" cut.

It started to leak gas out from under the carb and I seem to have stopped that, but now it seems as if I have some GAS in the OIL, what could that be?
Is that something that can be an easy fix?

kraftymate

/ Craftsman Lawn Tractor Problem #2  
I'm guessing that's a Briggs & Stratton engine and the last time I had one that got gas in the oil, a new carb fixed the problem. A carburetor kit probably would have done it, but I took the quick and lazy way out and just replaced it with a new one.

/ Craftsman Lawn Tractor Problem #3  
Does the tractor run rough or idle??? double check and make sure the choke not sticking...than I would do as Bird said.

/ Craftsman Lawn Tractor Problem
What are the steps that I need to take to repair this problem?
I just want to be sure that it will not BLOW-UP in my face when I try to start it agian.

I know that the oil will need to be changed and what other tihngs and in what order.

Thanks for your help!!!!!

kraftymate

/ Craftsman Lawn Tractor Problem #5  
I'm not too sure about telling you the steps to take without seeing the engine, but basically

1. Remove the air filter and filter housing
2. Disconnect the linkages (I don't know whether you have a throttle or whether it's a constant speed engine nor whether there's a butterfly type choke or only a primer bulb or a governor linkage)
3. Disconnect the fuel (gas) line from the carburetor
4. Remove the carburetor; probably held on by two bolts, or two nuts on studs and there'll be a gasket between the carb and the engine.
5. Re-assemble in reverse order (if you buy a kit to overhaul the carb there maybe adequate instructions in the kit, or if you buy a new carb, it should have instructions).
6. Change oil.

/ Craftsman Lawn Tractor Problem #6  
kraftymate said:
I seem to have started having problems with my Craftsman Lawn Tractor its a 12.5 hp 48" cut.

It started to leak gas out from under the carb and I seem to have stopped that, but now it seems as if I have some GAS in the OIL, what could that be?
Is that something that can be an easy fix?

kraftymate

Sounds like it could be the float needle isn't seating properly.

/ Craftsman Lawn Tractor Problem #7  
It's leaking at the needle and seat. clean/repair/replace needle/seat and/or float and install a fuel cut-off valve in the fuel line.

/ Craftsman Lawn Tractor Problem #8  
If it's old gas, add some SEAFOAM to it. Will help to clean out deposits in carb. See directions on can. Good luck.

/ Craftsman Lawn Tractor Problem #9  
Afternoon Krafty,
You could also remove the carb and soak the whole assembly in Carb cleaner and blow out all the passages ! You may have some gummy buildup in there !

/ Craftsman Lawn Tractor Problem #10  
krafty, Does this carburator have a rectangular block where the fuel line connects? If so this is the type that uses crank case pulses to a diaphram in that rectangular block to pump the fuel... Which will load gas into the crank case if it tears ...the fuel pump diaphram needs replaced ..Hint: watch out for the tiny seat springs and their location if you install a new kit.. or maybe just replace the whole pump... Good Luck...Oh and while your at it clean the fuel bowl needle & seat as suggested earlier... :)