Cub Cadet 2166 problem - transmission

/ Cub Cadet 2166 problem - transmission #31  
I did the same thing on my CC 3165. Used a Mobil 1 filter that was suppose to cross over. Changed oil and filter and the tractor would not move. I started searching and found this post by chargetillfall. Put on a cub filter and I'm off mowing again. Thanks again for the post chargetillfall!!

/ Cub Cadet 2166 problem - transmission #32  
It's possible you need to bleed air from the system. Start the engine, pull the bypass lever and mash and release the pedals a few times while in bypass mode. Other than that, is the level ok? What trans filter did you use? I have read of maybe 2-3 cases where an automotive filter was used and the trans lost all functionality. Once the filter was replaced with an OEM or quality AM, all was well. I dunno how your climate is, but I wouldn't go with a 50wt trans oil. I'd stick with a 40wt. FWIW, I have Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 in mine (that specs Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus) and it performs flawlessly.

Joel

I had the same issue with a 1996 Cub Cadet 2155. it was the transmission filter! I replaced the Cub Cadet 923-3014 filter with a STP S16 filter. Even though it was a comparable replacement, the STP filter caused the transmission not to function in reverse or forward. I replaced the filter with a compartable OEM tractor transmission filter, Toro 79-5270, and the tractor worked

/ Cub Cadet 2166 problem - transmission #33  
FWIW, the Wix filter I got at NAPA used hasn't caused any problems in five years.

jack vines