i1046 clutch sticking?

/ i1046 clutch sticking? #1  

BobReeves

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Hi,

Bought a i1046 from the big box store last summer when my Murry died.. Put about 25 hours on it last year and just fired it up after it set all winter. So far so good and I have really become quite fond of the mower except for one minor irritation that showed up yesterday. I'm thinking the clutch is more of a brake than a clutch.

Once in a while, you get on, start it up and it simply won't go.. Forward or reverse, sounds like a hydraulic relief valve venting.. You pop the clutch as in pressing it than let you foot slide off the side so it pops back to the stop and everything works fine.

I haven't lifted it up to take a close look yet but was wondering if anyone else with an i10xx has ran into this problem. I'm thinking something is sticking after sitting all winter.

/ i1046 clutch sticking? #2  
It's pretty common for the brake to "stick" in the on position. On your transmission/transaxle you will see a small brake disc with a little caliper covering the bottom of it. Just spray a penetrating oil all over that caliper and work the brake pedal a few times. That usually gets everything working and releasing right.

/ i1046 clutch sticking?
Thanks for the tip, will look at it before the grass gets really going..