Cub Cadet 2166 - Will turn over, start, then stall

/ Cub Cadet 2166 - Will turn over, start, then stall #1  

EagleEye

Bronze Member
Tractor
TC35 w/16LA loader
My son was driving the 2166 the other day (mowing the lawn) when it suddenly stalled out. Upon attempting to start it, it reliabably turns over with every indication that it is starting (starts firing), then it shuts itself down.

I have done the following:
Checked the ignition spark (it's there!)
Verified fuel flow through (and out of) the fuel pump (even took it off and checked it out)
Verified fuel flow into the carb (even replaced the solenoid)
Replaced the relay

The Agway guys says that it's most likely NOT the safety switches (which I originally took off with the intent to replace - he says they rarely bust). I'm baffled as to what it is.

Ideas? Ignition switch? Safety switches? To me, it's apparent that it's electrical because when I turn the ignition over, it starts, only to stop after I release the key to the "run" state.

Help!

/ Cub Cadet 2166 - Will turn over, start, then stall #2  
If you have a courage kohler; could be flywheel keyway has sheared. When key shears, timing is thrown off.

/ Cub Cadet 2166 - Will turn over, start, then stall #3  
Check to make sure ther key switch is getting power out of the run lug. If it's the cheap key switch I'm thinking about that could be it. Just turn the key to run check battery voltage at the run terminal on the key switch. If you have it then you need to look elsewhere but if you dont then replace the switch.

/ Cub Cadet 2166 - Will turn over, start, then stall #4  
Check the fuel line to see if it is clogged towards the back of the tank, mine did this and I had to replace the line. My neighbor was having the same problem and it fixed his.

/ Cub Cadet 2166 - Will turn over, start, then stall #5  
I know you said that you checked the fuel solenoid and relay, but it sure sounds like that's the problem. I have a Toro with a Kohler that did the same thing you're talking about. It would run so long as the key was turned to the "start" position, but then when the key was let back to the "Run" position it would die. The solenoid worked fine, but something was wrong in the circuit to the solenoid. It wouldn't get any juice in "Run". I finally pulled the guts out of the solenoid and it has run great ever since.

Whatever you've got sounds like an electrical problem The engine runs...

EagleEye said:
...it reliabably turns over with every indication that it is starting (starts firing), then it shuts itself down.
That means you have fuel, air, spark, compression, timing, and all that stuff. You've just got some gremlin in the control system.

You could check it with a test light. If you get juice to the fuel shut-off solenoid in "Start" but no juice in the "Run" position, that's your problem.

/ Cub Cadet 2166 - Will turn over, start, then stall #6  
So did you find out what the problem was? My 2166 is doing the exact same thing, and will also cut off if i take my foot off the brake while holding in "start" , I feel like I may have more than one problem possibly...

/ Cub Cadet 2166 - Will turn over, start, then stall #7  
If you're real brave you can troubleshoot this by removing the ground wire from the coil. This is usually how your cut-off switches do their thing. If it runs great without the grounding wire, you know it's a control issue somewhere. You can then evaluate the relays by connecting them one at a time to the cut off. You can shut the engine off by grounding the spark plug to the block with a screwdriver.

I don't think there's any easy way of doing this. You just have to start testing each point of the circuit one component at a time.

/ Cub Cadet 2166 - Will turn over, start, then stall #8  
Check the fuel line to see if it is clogged towards the back of the tank, mine did this and I had to replace the line. My neighbor was having the same problem and it fixed his.

Yup..that was our problem as well. disconnect the hose from tank to carb...and compressed air blew out a clump of grass stuck in the hose. After that no problems.