drive belt LT1042

/ drive belt LT1042 #1  

shore-trader

Tractor
lt 1042 (2005)
after three years of hard use the drive belt came off the drive pulley!!
time to replace it while I'm at it.
THE BOLT HOLDING THE PTO CLUTCH IS THE PROBLEM.

1. I do not have an impact wrench
2. are the threds standard or left handed?
3. any thoughts on how to hold the shaft

/ drive belt LT1042 #2  
If it's the mower drive belt, you shouldn't have to loosen the drive pulley (PTO clutch)... just the belt keepers around it. See your manual.

If it's the transmission drive belt, then best to take it to a dealer - changeout is more complex and takes some specialized tools.

/ drive belt LT1042 #3  
If it's the mower drive belt, you shouldn't have to loosen the drive pulley (PTO clutch)... just the belt keepers around it. See your manual.

I think these are the models with the belt retainers that are part of the frame, so the recommended procedure it to removed the PTO clutch to repalce the drive belt. That's a lot of work if you ask me, plus the pulley probably isn't going to just slides off the shaft without some encouragement.

Alternatively I think you can loosen the motor mounting bolts and tip the motor forward enough to allow you to slip on a new belt with out taking off the PTO.

Another method would be to just cut off (right-angle grinder) the belt retainers all together. Since the drive belt is under tension at all times this shouldn't propose any problem.

/ drive belt LT1042 #4  
My 2005 LT1042 just needs it's mower belt guides at the PTO loosened, the deck belt idler arm swung back to drop the belt and the two rear hitch pins pulled to remove the mower.deck. or replace the belt.
Again, see the manual for detailed instructions.