cub cadet 122

/ cub cadet 122 #1  

georgia plow boy

Bronze Member
I purchased a cub 122 yesterday I cant get to the serial # on the tractor without taking the lift off the three point hitch but thats alright it has to be a 65,66,67 I'm thinking but the guy I bought it from said the motor used oil he didn't check it and blown it he replaced it with another kohler i2 hp but didn't know what it came off the serial is 780144 model a3 spec. 46227a the numbers could be off a little I wear glasses but most are right I think .are their any way with those numbers that I can find out about the motor is it a 12 and maybe the year. I'm tickled to death with it I been looking for one that's in good shape with a good deck for a good price for along time and this ones in good shape no rust everything works dont smoke new tires descent paint I bought it for $440.00 and it came with extra blades operators manual service manual and parts manual so think it was a pretty good price but I'm curious about the motor thanks for any help

/ cub cadet 122
I got my 122 cub out today changed oil greased it check trans ect.. and while I was looking at the motor again I discovered the model was a k 241 a3and looked in my manual and sure enough it was there it came off a 102 cub so I looked up the serial and its a 1964 so unless they made a 102 cub in 1964 12hp my 122 cub has a 10hp on it any one know if they made a 12 or do I have a 10 for sure thank for your help

/ cub cadet 122 #3  
I have a 122, they were built with Kohler K301 engines,(12 horse). The K241 ia a ten horse engine.

/ cub cadet 122 #4  
If it has been rebuilt and overbored, that 10 hp may be more than 10 hp at this point or maybe not depending on what shape it is in. If I am not mistaken, the only difference between the 10 and the 12 is the bore size anyway.