How to: Reverse Mowing for 2000 (2165, 2166, 2176,2185 and others) Series

/ How to: Reverse Mowing for 2000 (2165, 2166, 2176,2185 and others) Series #1  

Dave2166

Tractor
CC 2166
I burned up my PTO clutch after a few years of dealing with the stupid reverse lockout. I wanted a solution that didn't involve bending stuff (which meant an electric solution), so I downloaded the schematic for my 2166 and the parts diagrams and went to work.

The parts diagrams show that the reverse switch on the 2166 (also on my neighbor's 2185) is normally closed - not open. This meant the solution was not as simple as cutting or removing a wire from the switch, which is pretty well buried anyway. Fortunately, looking over the schematic provided another relatively simple solution.

[1] Get a schematic. (this one is for the 2166) http://ihregistry.com/wiring/E24.pdf

[2]Disconnect the battery.

[3]Remove the connector from the back of the ignition switch. Mine took some wiggling and pulling, but I was able to do it by hand.

The terminals on my ignition switch are shaped like this:

(please ignore periods - ascii diagrams on bulletin boards are a pia.)

.*
X.*
*.*

X marks the terminal to use looking from side of the plug the wires go into.

[4]Locate the relay near the ignition switch. With the connector, it's black box maybe 1" long and 1/2" wide and 3/8" deep (roughly -I didn't measure). The relay connector has 5 terminals with 4 wires connected. The terminals on my relay are shaped like this:

..*
..*

[5]Run a jumper between the wire indicated as red (red and black on my switch) in the schematic connected to the ignition switch and the wire indicated as white on the schematic (white on my relay) connected to the the relay.)

[6]Reconnect the battery.

That's it. If you want to be able to re-enable the reverse PTO lockout (I don't), install a single pole single throw switch anywhere in the middle of that jumper to toggle reverse mowing on and off.

If pictures will help, maybe I can post some later.

Here's a better diagram than the ascii ones.

attachment.php

Last edited:
   / How to: Reverse Mowing for 2000 (2165, 2166, 2176,2185 and others) Series #2  
Excellent write up Dave! Really though, all you need to do is postion the paddle out of the way on the reverse pedal linkage, such that it doens't mash against the button switch that kills the PTO.

Joel

/ How to: Reverse Mowing for 2000 (2165, 2166, 2176,2185 and others) Series
Thought about that, but figured it would be easier to reverse the process by just clipping and securing the jumper than it would be to bend that tab back properly into shape. I am not worried about my own reverse mowing, but I don't need the liability of passing on a mower to someone else with the safety switches all disabled. Besides, this was more fun.

/ How to: Reverse Mowing for 2000 (2165, 2166, 2176,2185 and others) Series #4  
I don't need the liability of passing on a mower to someone else with the safety switches all disabled.

Manufacturers and Dealers are the target of these laws not the Purchaser / Customer.
L B

/ How to: Reverse Mowing for 2000 (2165, 2166, 2176,2185 and others) Series
whoever sells something with a safety mechanism disabled is liable for any injury/damage that results from that mechanism being disabled.

I'll take that risk for myself, but when the tractor goes, it also goes back to stock.

/ How to: Reverse Mowing for 2000 (2165, 2166, 2176,2185 and others) Series #6  
whoever sells something with a safety mechanism disabled is liable for any injury/damage that results from that mechanism being disabled..

Probably true, but your average homeowner would be pretty much shielded from such suits. This would be a difficult and costly lawsuit based on a private used sale, where the tractor is sold as-is, where-is, with no warranty expressed or implied.

Joel

/ How to: Reverse Mowing for 2000 (2165, 2166, 2176,2185 and others) Series #7  
Probably true, but your average homeowner would be pretty much shielded from such suits. This would be a difficult and costly lawsuit based on a private used sale, where the tractor is sold as-is, where-is, with no warranty expressed or implied.

Joel
:confused: Like I said: ;)
:) These laws focus on manufacturers , dealers and retailers.
If you are not one of these those laws do not apply to you.
Enforcement has to be directed toward them not private individuals. :)

Last edited:
   / How to: Reverse Mowing for 2000 (2165, 2166, 2176,2185 and others) Series #8  
I just disabled my reverse PTO shut-off switch today. The stupid button on the key switch didn't work anyway. All I did was remove the right rear tire and found the switch and pulled the spade wire connector off of the switch and taped it up. Now I can back over the kids anytime I want to!