Idle level question on LT1045

/ Idle level question on LT1045 #1  

lexus114

Tractor
06 LT-1045 LE (v-twin)
I have a 2006 20hp Kohler V-twin LT-1045 (I know one of the rare ones) my question is can I disable the rod on the carberator that keeps the idle up? I like the slower normal idle.They call it a governed idle system.It keeps the idle no matter what the ambient temp. is etc.but I dont like it.Supposedly it was only on some of these engines.Should I disconnect the spring,(from the governor)or the rod itself?

Models with Governed Idle System
An optional governed idle control system is supplied
on some engines. The purpose of this system is to
maintain a desired idle speed regardless of ambient
conditions (temperature, parasitic load, etc.) that may
change. Engines with this feature contain a small
secondary spring connected between the governor
lever and the lower adjustment tab of the main
Thanx,
Ryan

Last edited:
   / Idle level question on LT1045 #2  
I hear ya. I like a nice low idle too, but I don't know that you'll get it on a newer hydrostatic drive machine. The engine spins the pump 100% of the time, so there's always a small load on it. That, and a hydrostatic machine is designed to run at max governed speed all the time anyway. IMO, if you want a real low idle, you need a gear drive machine.

Joel

/ Idle level question on LT1045
I hear ya. I like a nice low idle too, but I don't know that you'll get it on a newer hydrostatic drive machine. The engine spins the pump 100% of the time, so there's always a small load on it. That, and a hydrostatic machine is designed to run at max governed speed all the time anyway. IMO, if you want a real low idle, you need a gear drive machine.

Joel

Thanx, JT I was wondering if it was due to the hydro trans.I still may play around with it and let you know.

Ryan