79 IH Cub Cadet 1250

/ 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250 #1  

Camo-Man 07

I have a Cub Cadet 1250 that will not spark.

I bought new condenser, new points, new coil. And I have power all the way to the points, and the gap is set to .015, which is what I was told to set them at. But still no spark. My dad, grandfather, and myself have no clue as to what could be wrong! Even the guy who owns a local tractor parts/repair shop has no idea when I describe it to him.
It seems like its not getting enough power to spark the points. But if I stick a screw driver in the gap I get a strong looking blue spark. I'm stumped

So if anyone here could please tell me what to do I would be forever greatful!

Last edited:
   / 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250 #2  
Sounds like your points are not closing to complete the circuit. They should be closed except for when the engine is rotated to the timing point at which they are supposed to open, that is where you set the air gap to the .015.

-Fordlords-

/ 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250
Thanks Fordlords. I'll try correcting the points gap and let you know if it works

/ 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250
I closed the points all the way and I get a vary weak spark, the tractor starts then but I can't open the throttle because the timing is off and it bangs around like mad.

It seems like its not getting enough power, but the battery is new and I have it charged. No change if I try to jump it off the charger

I've manged to fix it! I had to replace the wire leading to the points. it had somehow manged to break without my knowing it

Last edited:
   / 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250 #5  
Another thing to check is the wire running from the points to the coil. Over a period of time, this wire gets cooked because the factory routed it so close to the engine. Simple repair is to make up a new wire and route it around the side of the motor to make the connections.

/ 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250 #6  
I've manged to fix it! I had to replace the wire leading to the points. it had somehow manged to break without my knowing it

Good for you! had the same thing happen to me with an older gas engine tractor. Ain't it grand when you finally find the problem.:D

/ 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250
You have no idea. This thing has had one problem after another for that last 3 years. Frist the dead gasket blew then one after another it went down hill. Now I have a working plow tractor again!

Worst part is, it was the first year I had the plow on it when it did this!

/ 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250 #8  
Most of the common failure points on these machines have surfaced and are known among International Cub Cadet groups. Sometimes you get a machine that is an odd ball or has been really abused.

They are built like tanks, but you sort of have to either know their quirks or know someone who does to keep them running.

/ 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250 #9  
One more thing to check is the push rod for the points. They can wear and cause all kinds of problems.

AJ

/ 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250 #10  
Glad you're up and running again!

Curt