Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250

I have a Cub Cadet 1250 that will not spark.

I bought new condenser, new points, new coil. And I have power all the way to the points, and the gap is set to .015, which is what I was told to set them at. But still no spark. My dad, grandfather, and myself have no clue as to what could be wrong! Even the guy who owns a local tractor parts/repair shop has no idea when I describe it to him.
    It seems like its not getting enough power to spark the points. But if I stick a screw driver in the gap I get a strong looking blue spark. I'm stumped

So if anyone here could please tell me what to do I would be forever greatful!
    Last edited by Camo-Man 07; 12-29-2008 at 01:30 AM.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet 682

Default Re: 79 IH Cub Cadet 1250

Sounds like your points are not closing to complete the circuit. They should be closed except for when the engine is rotated to the timing point at which they are supposed to open, that is where you set the air gap to the .015.

-Fordlords-
    1980 Cub Cadet 682 with 18 HP Honda GX V-Twin engine
    2008 Ariens 624 Snowblower
    2007 Craftsman by MTD 4 Cycle Weedwacker

Check out my TBN photo gallery for B4 and after pix of my CC 682 Restoration! http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/s...cat/500/page/1

Thanks Fordlords. I'll try correcting the points gap and let you know if it works

I closed the points all the way and I get a vary weak spark, the tractor starts then but I can't open the throttle because the timing is off and it bangs around like mad.

It seems like its not getting enough power, but the battery is new and I have it charged. No change if I try to jump it off the charger

I've manged to fix it! I had to replace the wire leading to the points. it had somehow manged to break without my knowing it
    Last edited by Camo-Man 07; 12-29-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Elite Member

Another thing to check is the wire running from the points to the coil. Over a period of time, this wire gets cooked because the factory routed it so close to the engine. Simple repair is to make up a new wire and route it around the side of the motor to make the connections.

Tractor
    2004 Kubota L35TLB, '89' Cub Cadet 1541

Quote Originally Posted by Camo-Man 07 View Post
    I've manged to fix it! I had to replace the wire leading to the points. it had somehow manged to break without my knowing it
    Good for you! had the same thing happen to me with an older gas engine tractor. Ain't it grand when you finally find the problem.
    .....Tim

You have no idea. This thing has had one problem after another for that last 3 years. Frist the dead gasket blew then one after another it went down hill. Now I have a working plow tractor again!

Worst part is, it was the first year I had the plow on it when it did this!

Elite Member

Most of the common failure points on these machines have surfaced and are known among International Cub Cadet groups. Sometimes you get a machine that is an odd ball or has been really abused.

They are built like tanks, but you sort of have to either know their quirks or know someone who does to keep them running.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    [2004 LT2180] [1980 582] [1981 582] [1983 682] [1983 982]

One more thing to check is the push rod for the points. They can wear and cause all kinds of problems.

AJ

Tractor
    Ford 1220, Case 245, Cub 1872, Cub 2284

Glad you're up and running again!

Curt
    Ford 1220 FEL, Backhoe, Boosh hog, Core Aerator, Finish mower, Boxblade, 3 PT boom sprayer, Tiller, Case 245, Cubs 1872-2284.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast