Cub Cadet 1250 problems

/ Cub Cadet 1250 problems #1  

Camo-Man 07

Well I'm back again

When I was out "joy ridding" in my back yard she stated to backfire like mad and tried to die on me. I shut her down for a few minutes then started her back up. Ran for a little then started to sputter and tried to die. I manged to limp her back to the garage(start stall the whole way) I thought the points might have slipped so I reset them.

When I tried to start it she would start for a second then die and I'd get a puff of smoke from the carb. She fires then kicks and dies.
Right now it will spin and spin but it wont fire. it has spark. and it will kick once then smoke

Any suggestions?
Thanks for any help

/ Cub Cadet 1250 problems #2  
What engine is i it? Courage Kohlers have known problem with flywheel key; it will look good, but you need to pull flywheel and inspect it and probably change it. It throws timing off.
Could be a fuel delivery problem. Filter, ice?

Okay; not a courage motor; try a new spark plug.

Valve spring?

Make sure nothing is grounding out ignition

/ Cub Cadet 1250 problems
All the ignition system and spark plug work, I made sure of that before I posted.
Although maybe a new plug is in order, its worth a try and its cheap.
Its a Kohler K301.

There seems to fuel getting to the carb, however I was thinking that I might need to make adjustments to the carb, maybe its either not getting enough or its getting to much and flooding.

The gas is good, there shouldnt be dirt in it but ya never know.
Thanks for the carb setting. I'll do that tomorrow, too cold to work on it tonight

/ Cub Cadet 1250 problems #6  
As I reread post; you stated it is backfiring through carb. This is an indacation of timing off do to flywheel key, ignition module, valve spring or bad plug. Could be a ignition ground wire pinched or touching also.

I'll go with replaceing the spark plug first, its the easist and cheapest problem to fix.

Its a 79 if that helps any....

Just some more info on the Tractor.

There is a strong spark and the plug is wet when I pull it out. But it will no longer start, at all. before it would kick once or twice then stop. Now it wont do that, it just spins and spins until it drains the battery. No kick at all. I even tried starter fluid

/ Cub Cadet 1250 problems #9  
Strong spark - wet plug? ; could be bad plug or too much fuel or timing issues.

Timing is controled by the points and I have those set right, 0.015 and that is what I was told to set them to, and it had ran with them like that. And the spark is nice and strong from the plug. I'll see if I can fix the flow