Cub Cadet 100

/ Cub Cadet 100 #1  

RoninKS

Hi, I'm new here and looking for suggestions and info.
I've never owned or operated a Cub Cadet,... but tomorrow evening I'm going to look at a Cub Cadet 100 with the intent of buying it.
I talked to the owner this evening, and he said the 10 HP motor has been overhauled (last year) due to haveing been in a flood. He says it runs great, and he has repainted it. He owns a body shop, so I think he probaly did a good job of painting it.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else to check (or look for) before handing over my $500.00?

Another question I have is,... is the Cub Cadet 100 considered a "riding lawn mower", or, a "lawn tractor"? (I hear there's a big difference between the two)

Thanks,
RoninKS

/ Cub Cadet 100 #2  
If the engine has been overhauled the price is worth it in my opinion. The 100 is a gear drive and can do a lot of towing even with only 10 hp. I would consider it a true garden tractor. I had an old Cub 86 which was a little newer with only an 8 hp. I got rid of it when I got my 2542...wish I had it back.

/ Cub Cadet 100 #3  
A 100 is a true "Garden Tractor" and also one of the most popular models. If it is in as good of shape as you say it is, $500 is probably a good price on it. Go buy it. You won't regret it. Plus, in a few years, if you wanted to sell it, you could probably get your money back out of it.

AJ

/ Cub Cadet 100 #4  
Cub Cadets are great machines. I've got a 109, which should be the same 10HP Kohler in the 100. Mines a hydro drive, and just for the coolness factor I would like to have a gear drive also. Get the machine and enjoy. You may find yourself wanting to get into collecting all the attachments and toys that go with them. Post a photo when you get her home. Welcome to the club!

/ Cub Cadet 100
Well I bought it, and it does need some TLC (which didn't surprise me).
1. It needs at least one pair of front wheel bearings.
2. It needs the clutch adjusted.
3. I think it needs new brushs in the starter/generator.
4. The steering has about 1/2 full turn of play before the front wheels move.
.... but, overall I'm very happy with it.

/ Cub Cadet 100 #6  
Congrats Ron. None of those items are showstoppers to me. A good source of info on these machines can be found at www.onlycubcadets.com. Good luck.

/ Cub Cadet 100 #7  
Another good source for parts, and has much more traffic/activity on the site is the ihregistry.com website. We even had a live chat room that gets going around 9pm most nights. There are several dealers on there that sell parts or even whole cubs. Cheers Mike

/ Cub Cadet 100 #8  
Any clues why there are 3 different specific IH cub sites out there? Seems like there was one, then came IH Registry and now onlycubcadets?

/ Cub Cadet 100 #9  
Ron,

Here is a link to the service manual.

IHRegistry Home

There is a simple procedure to take that play out of the steering.
Many of these earlier cubs used a starter/generator that wa a little problematic in really cold weather.

Good luck.
Curt