Cub Cadet 4-stroke convertible weed trimmer

/ Cub Cadet 4-stroke convertible weed trimmer #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
I'm looking at possibly getting a CC 4-stroke trimmer, to replace my aging Craftsman 2-stroke one. But, I have more $$ invested in the Craftsman convertible attachments (tiller, pole saw, leaf blower, etc.) than in the trimmer itself.

The Cub Cadet one appears to be compatible with these attachments...

Anyone have any experience or feedback to offer on these Cub Cadet 4-stroke power heads?

/ Cub Cadet 4-stroke convertible weed trimmer #2  
I've been on an MTD kick here- yes the Cub Cadet and Craftsman weed wackers from some point a few years back both are/were made by MTD, so the attachments would likely be compatable.

I ran my Craftsman/MTD 4 stroke weed wacker pretty hard last year (It's first year) and have a few minor complaints, but it performed very well.

First, you can't store it hanging on a wall with the engine on top. Or else when you start it, you get greeted by lots of oil smoke for the first few minutes from oil that seeps past the ring end gaps. Second, it's a little on the heavy side compared to many two strokes, about a half hour of it at a time is all I can take before I need a break. Third, (this might be unique to my model) the line tends to melt itself together towrads the inside of the head, and does not like to tap out. I don't know why, as the head does not seem to get very hot. Might just need to try some different line.

Other than that it took everything I dished out to it, and usually starts on pull 2 or 3 every time and runs smoothly.

-Fordlords-

/ Cub Cadet 4-stroke convertible weed trimmer
Thanks, FordLords, for the input...

Anyone else? I'm finding mixed reviews on ePinions and such...

/ Cub Cadet 4-stroke convertible weed trimmer #4  
I had a Ryobi four stroke weed whacker. I think the attachments are compatible with the other consumer brands. It died on year two. Rather than replace it, I decided to bite the bullet and by a commercial two stroke unit. I'm partial to Echo products, so I bought one of those.

The difference between the commercial two stroke and the four stroke Ryobi is simply amazing. The Echo is so much lighter and so much more powerful it is hard to believe, plus it is much smoother, with almost no vibration. I only had one extra attachment for the Ryobi, so it wasn't that big a deal financially, but I am very glad I went two stroke. It is so much easier to use.

My $.02.

/ Cub Cadet 4-stroke convertible weed trimmer #5  
Yes the attachments are compatable. My Troy-Bilt power head has had a real problem with starting after 2 years of use. It's a fuel problem but I have not been able to isolate the cause after numerous attempts. I gave up and just odered a new Cub Cadet with the brush cutter attachment. I bought the larger engine 29cc and hopefully this one will last a little longer. I have way too much invested in the attachments to switch over to a Stihl which I really wanted but they are not compatable links. Overall I have been really happy with the 4 stroke and all the attachments work great.

/ Cub Cadet 4-stroke convertible weed trimmer #6  
The Ryobi and Troy Bilt trimmers are also MTD made products along with the Craftsman and Cub Cadet trimmers.

-Fordlords-

/ Cub Cadet 4-stroke convertible weed trimmer #7  
I'm looking at possibly getting a CC 4-stroke trimmer, to replace my aging Craftsman 2-stroke one. But, I have more $$ invested in the Craftsman convertible attachments (tiller, pole saw, leaf blower, etc.) than in the trimmer itself.

The Cub Cadet one appears to be compatible with these attachments...

Anyone have any experience or feedback to offer on these Cub Cadet 4-stroke power heads?
Go to this website www.lawnsite.com good reading on everything in lawn care.coobie