IH Cub 782 Need engine replacement

/ IH Cub 782 Need engine replacement #1  

rdc127@comcast.net

Tractor
IH CC 782
I need to replace original Kohler KT17 twin in my CC 782. During last snowstorm, I was blowing more oil & smoke than I was blowing away snow, as well as had no power. I had blown head gasket some years back when engine overheaded due to some undetected field mice nesting in the cooling fins.The engine s/n is 11006361 and the chassis s/n is 2050594 U688998. I live in southern NH.

Local MA dealer told me to sit down before he quoted $3900 for new short block or $4500 full replacement. Ouch! That's more than I've spent on my last two cars.Then dealer started the sales pitch for a new tractor. The new rigs just don't appear as robust as the earlier models (have that Sears & Roebuck look).

The 782 tractor is in decent shape, little duck tape on the seat. I have already invested some money on other parts over the years. I really want to keep the unit. I'm no mechanic so I'll need someone to do the work. What are my options? Any good used or rebuilt engines out there? Or plug in replacements? What do you recomend? Thanks for your help.

/ IH Cub 782 Need engine replacement #3  
There are a couple of repower "kits" out there for the 782 if you want a brand new engine, one uses a Honda and other is a Briggs Vanguard, both run around 1600 for the kit. If you want to go with a good used power plant, like a Kohler Mag18, check out the ihregistry.com website. Join up, its free, and email member Ray Weaver, he lives in eastern pa and has hundreds of cub cadets he is parting. He can get you a good engine for alot less. Most depends if you can do your own work swaping out the engine. There are loads of great guys and gals on the ihregistry website. Its dedicated to the cub cadets and keepin them running. I have helped a few guys repower thier tractors or overhaul the engine. PM me if you need to know more or want to talk on the phone. Mike

/ IH Cub 782 Need engine replacement
Thanks to Rocks and Mike for quick response. You've pointed me in the right direction. I'll get on them and see what options arise. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Appreciate the offer to call & discuss. Stay tuned. Rich

/ IH Cub 782 Need engine replacement #5  
That dealer is a joker. A brand new KT17 Series II is available for the 782 for $1900 from Small Engine Warehouse. They also have 2 Honda kits for the tractor, 20 and 24 HP, for $1600 and $1800. The Hondas are conversion kits, the KT17SII an exact replacement. A re-engined 782 will probably still last longer than anything new the dealer could try to sell you.

-Fordlords-

/ IH Cub 782 Need engine replacement
Thanks Fordlords, great info.I like the new approach for the long term. I found some used units but i'd rather not roll the dice. I'm going for the KT.
I spent my high school days in Lakewood, NY by Chatauqua(sp?) Lake, near Jamestown. Went to Grove City College. I gave up those daily snow squalls for the big New England Noreasters. Enjoyed many a day on the slopes of Holiday Valley. I miss driving the interstate 90 headed for a Cleveland Brown's game to watch Jim Brown and having my 67VW bug get blown over 4' by the gale winds howling off the lake....and all those whiteouts...take care.

/ IH Cub 782 Need engine replacement #7  
I'd go with the honda transplant!

/ IH Cub 782 Need engine replacement #9  
I have had no trouble with the Honda, it works excellent in the tractor and I would do it again. I have no real gripes with Series II KT17's, other than it does not come with an oil filter. The provisions are on the block, and you need to get the kit to use the remotely mounted oil filter, which I highly recommend for the SII, or any engine costing the amount of money these things do. Either way, a good 782 is well worth the efforts to keep running.

-Fordlords-

/ IH Cub 782 Need engine replacement #10  
If it were me I'd spend the dough and rebuild the 782...that was an excellent tractor.