Cub GT2542 vs JD X300

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #21  
I had a CC 1450 which I ran for 26 years. I now have a 3235 (54 inch deck) purchased in 2004 and about 275 hours on it. It has never been back to the dealer for anything. I replaced the three high-lift blades last season because 3 of the wings had cracked off the blades. It still has the original deck belt and pair of PTO belts with no apparent wear. I did have to replace the front deck roller and shaft which disappeared and one of the rear rollers broke.

Bob B.

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #22  
I test drove the JD300 and the Cub Cadet GT2542. After many hours of mulling the purchase over, I decided on the Cub. The price was 8 dollars more, (big deal),

1* but I felt the Cub had more to offer.

I have a little over and acre of meadow type terrain with small hills and my Husqvarna bit the dust trying to handle the work. That's all I needed to see was the fact that a belt drive failed to do the job. So-I went with the shaft drive of the Cub. In driving the JD, the reverse action, of the pushing on the pedal, seemed to cause the tractor to jerk harshly. The Cub is louder but feels more powerful, even though the HP's are about the same. I plan on taking down some Ash trees this fall and don't want anyones big 4whl drive pickup going over my lawn. So the Cub will be trailering the wood out to their trucks. One of my other first winter plans with the Cub is a snow blade, and if there's too much snow I have a large walk behind snow blower-
2*but I thought the plow would be good up to 6 or 7 inches.....
1* You would have to move up to the X700 to get that feeling with a JD.
2*The CC will push more than 7 inches of snow.
I've cleard 14'' snows with my little ole 8.25 HP Bolens 850. :)
;)
I'm pretty pleased with my 2518 that I've had since May. This is the same as the 2544 except mine has the old style hood. I was looking at those two also before I found mine used. The Deere looked better from a fit and finish standpoint. The Cub Cadet has a stronger drivetrain. I really like a horizontal shaft engine in a mower.

I was bugged by all the negative reviews I see on Cubs. Sounds like someone just isn't trying really hard in the QC department. Then again, most people will only post a review when they are frustrated with something. Maybe there are just more Cubs out there.
1*I did notice that a lot of Cub LT owners were posting reviews under model numbers of Cub GT's.
Anyway, mine has to go, just picked up a Kubota g1900 and I've got no use for them both.
1*The is exactly the reason for the distortion.

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #23  
The main thing that sold me on the GT2544 was hd frame on the Cub and the large capacity hydrostat. After having one of the first hydrostats that I saw on the market and experiencing the irritation of it simply not turning the wheels when it got too hot, it has been refreshing to never seem to come close to overheating the Cub. The shaft drive has been great, too. Don't forget to grease the steering column...

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #24  
Hey guys,
First post. Thinking of picking up a Gt 2542 or 2544. There are two for sale in the area and I'd like to know what they are worth. They both have low hours. The 2542 has the mower/bagger and the 2544 has mower/cart. Any thoughts on presenting cash offers for these. Thanks!!!!

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #25  
I have a GT2550, wish it had a floating deck. Other than that, I like it.