Cub GT2542 vs JD X300

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #1  

artp

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST
We are needing to replace our aging JD LX172 38" cut with a new lawn tractor. We need to stick to small deck size (42") hydrostatic (for my wife) and mulching deck. We have narrowed it down to these two, but would like feed back from members on this board.

So my observations:

The GT2542 seems heavier built with a larger engine and smoother operation. Comfort level is good on both, but with an edge on the GT2542. Wife likes the feel of that unit better. Did a test cut on a used JD X300 at the dealer. Seemed OK on level ground (which is what I have at home) , but had some trouble on steeper grades. Ride was OK, better than my old tractor. JD dealer would not let us test the tractor at our home. But JD does have 60 day return policy-no questions asked and 0% 12 month financing.

Cub dealer will be let us test the tractor next week at our home. Will know more then. Price comparison was suprising-the JD was about $ 400 less than the best I could do with the Cub dealer.

I have bought from both dealers in the past. Got my current JD from the local guy here. I bought my Kioti tractor and implements from the Cub dealer and have been very pleased with the service and performance of the units I purchased from him.

Any comments, thoughts, from guys on this board?

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #2  
Tough comparison because the Cub is a GT, and the JD is a LT. The X300 will probably give you a better cut, be a little more maneuverable, and is quieter. The 2542 weighs a lot more and will give you more options in the future, should you decide you want to do more than mow with it. It has a heavier duty transmission and frame, both designed for ground engaging. But seeing that you have a larger tractor as well, not sure this is even a concern.

JD's tend to be better quality, but if you have a good Cub dealer it won't be an issue. Most Cub issues tend to come from poor initial setup and support.

The price differential is tough to argue because you're buying stuff in the Cub that you may not need (GT abilities). My personal opinion is that I'd rather have more tractor than I need. But then I don't have a Kioti backing me up either :)

What it really sounds like it comes down to is comfort with the tractor and the dealer. Based on what you've said it sounds like the Cub guy is a bit more interested in making sure you're happy. And if your wife prefers it ergonomically, then it sounds like you're pretty much there. Again, it depends on whether the extra GT-ness or the "my wife prefers it"-factor is worth spending $400.

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #3  
1*We are needing to replace our aging JD LX172 38" cut with a new lawn tractor.
We need to stick to small deck size (42") hydrostatic (for my wife) and mulching deck.
2*We have narrowed it down to these two .
So my observations:
3*The GT2542 seems heavier built with a larger engine and smoother operation.
4*Price comparison was suprising-the JD was about $ 400 less than the best I could do with the Cub dealer.
5*Any comments, thoughts, from guys on this board?
:)
1*So far you have looked at one lawn tractor and 1 garden tractor.
2*A garden tractor and a lawn tractor.
3*Garden tractors are better built with better engines than lawn tractors.
4*Not to me as lawn tractors should cost less than garden tractors.
A CC lawn tractor comparable to the JD probably would have been less than the JD.
The GT2500 and 3000 series are the top of the line Cub Cadets.
The JD x500 and x700 are top of the line JDs.
You have compared an apple with an orange. :)
5* That's mine.;)

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #4  
Tough comparison because the Cub is a GT, and the JD is a LT. The X300 will probably give you a better cut, be a little more maneuverable, and is quieter. The 2542 weighs a lot more and will give you more options in the future, should you decide you want to do more than mow with it. It has a heavier duty transmission and frame, both designed for ground engaging. But seeing that you have a larger tractor as well, not sure this is even a concern.

JD's tend to be better quality, but if you have a good Cub dealer it won't be an issue. Most Cub issues tend to come from poor initial setup and support.

The price differential is tough to argue because you're buying stuff in the Cub that you may not need (GT abilities). My personal opinion is that I'd rather have more tractor than I need. But then I don't have a Kioti backing me up either :)

What it really sounds like it comes down to is comfort with the tractor and the dealer. Based on what you've said it sounds like the Cub guy is a bit more interested in making sure you're happy. And if your wife prefers it ergonomically, then it sounds like you're pretty much there. Again, it depends on whether the extra GT-ness or the "my wife prefers it"-factor is worth spending $400.
The OP has formed his opinions on an
apples to oranges comparison .
Such comparisons are meaningless and are full of errors .
Not a good way to make a sound buying decision
:)

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #6  
If you are just mowing go with the JD. If you are mowing and doing other things go with the cub.

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #7  
I just got our 2554 and was very well-pleased(actually surprised) with it's ability on differing terrain. Traction is excellent and it's ability on hills seemed good.

I feel the 2500 Series as the best buy in tractors. I sold my 20 year old Cub 1872 to get this and this new one is better on uneven terrain than the horse of a garden tractor it replaced.

I am very pleased with it.

Just pulled our 6X12 trailer with 2 scoops of mulch around the yard and it did well. Mind you I only pulled it on the level stuff.

I do not know a thing about the JD. Sorry.

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #8  
If you are just mowing go with the JD. If you are mowing and doing other things go with the cub.
If he is just mowing he should compare a CC lawn tractor with the JD lawn tractor before deciding which to buy.

I just got our 2554 and was very well-pleased(actually surprised) with it's ability on differing terrain. Traction is excellent and it's ability on hills seemed good.
1*I feel the 2500 Series as the best buy in tractors.
2*I do not know a thing about the JD. Sorry.
1*I tend to agree unless you buy one of them when you should have gotten a S-Compact instead like i did.Then it is an expensive painful experience.
2*The Jd is not in the same class as the CC he compared.:cool:

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #9  
The OP has formed his opinions on an apples to oranges comparison.
Most people start out that way, which is why they post on places like this. Nothing wrong with that.
Such comparisons are meaningless and are full of errors.
No, they're not. They provide a great starting point, especially if you're not familiar with the models in question. Besides, he might have started comparing these two models because they are priced similarly, or because they are what the dealers had on hand. Both of these reasons are perfectly fine to START with.
Not a good way to make a sound buying decision :)
... which is why he came here and posted. Notice how he never mentioned that he made a decision.

/ Cub GT2542 vs JD X300 #10  
Don't mind the negative talk. It is not typical of Cub owners and most in this forum.

Whether or not we're comparing apples to apples is not the topic. The topic is what the original poster asked. If you know the differences, be nice and tell them what they are.

Basically what they are trying to tell you is the JD is a lawn tractor(meant for cutting grass and very light yard work). The Cub is a Garden tractor and that means it can handle heavier duty work.....snow plowing, snow blowing, garden tilling, etc. But if you are just cutting grass you may consider the Cub anyway because it will hold up longer and may be worth more in resale. I just sold a 20 year old Cub garden tractor for $1,000 and could have gotten $1500 to $2000 if I had stripped it down and painted it up. Since I don't have the time for such i sold it as it was.
Very pleased with the GT2554.

Last edited: