So....Hood #3 (06 GT2554)

/ So....Hood #3 (06 GT2554) #21  
I wish they would go back to the hoods that tilted open to the front of the tractor.
Agreed! There's hope that with the redesigned hood of the 1000's, they've realized that front hinged is the way to go. Guess we'll find out next year when they update that 2500's.

/ So....Hood #3 (06 GT2554) #22  
If your dealer has documented your hood problems, I would get copies of the documentation from him, send it to Cub Cadet Headquarters asking if they have a cure for the problem and to extend your warranty on the hood issue for another 5 years.

/ So....Hood #3 (06 GT2554) #23  
I'm a new member but have spent many hours reading posts from members.

My longwinded $0.02:

I went into the garage today and noticed that I'm going to be on hood #3 as well.

Mine is a 2008 GT2554 that I bought new. The first hood let go at the hinge within 20 hours of use. The dealer said it was from overtightening at the factory. Okay, fine. Two weeks later I got my Cub back from the dealer and finished the mowing season. The second hood made it through 2009.

Last year we moved across the state and the Cub didn't have more than 10 hours mowing time the whole season. It was last used about September and then parked in the garage. I went out today and noticed it had popped up at the back. The studs molded into the hood had split and the brass nut insert had simply pulled out.

I had intended to pull the gas struts off the hinge mechanism to try to prevent this from happening, but didn't get around to it.

I don't think this was a entirely a heat related issue as much as it is due to the constant stress of from the gas struts pushing against the closed hood hinge. Heat may have been a catalyst, weakening the plastic to the point the hinge tears the mounting studs apart.

Ultimately, the hood is an extremely poor design. The hood and several other issues will make me think twice about any future Cub Cadet products.

My warranty is about to expire, so hopefully I can get a new hood. First, I'm going to remove the gas struts; then I'm going to try to make a lightweight frame out of steel tubing or aluminum angle that connects the hinge to the latch to remove any stress from the actual hood itself. Essentially, the hood would simply sit on the frame and not have any actual load placed on it...

The photos are of the first and second hood (003 and 1461, respectively) broken at the hinge location. The second hood, installed by the dealer, did not have the plastic block off plate over the center louvers.

Attachments

• P8150003.JPG
    P8150003.JPG
    559.7 KB · Views: 443
  • SAM_1461.jpg
    SAM_1461.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
   / So....Hood #3 (06 GT2554) #24  
Make sure to ask for the hood reinforcement kit that Cub came out with. If I get a chance I'll try to find the number for you.

/ So....Hood #3 (06 GT2554) #25  
2008 model 2554. Live in the hit south. Not one problem with original hood. 89 hours.

Last edited:
   / So....Hood #3 (06 GT2554) #26  
Update to 5/30/2011 post.

I called the Cub Cadet dealer where I purchased my GT2554. The service department would warranty a new hood (and decals). They also said there was a hood brace kit that was released in the summer of 2010, which they would install. I now have to take it from Southwest Oklahoma to Northeast Oklahoma.

Interestingly, the fellow I spoke to in the service department noted that the week prior he had a customer that brought in two GT2500's; both of their hoods had broke.

The hood brace kit is supposed to do the trick. Maybe I won't have to make my own after all...

/ So....Hood #3 (06 GT2554) #27  
So, after I replaced the original hood because of heat warpage and subsequent cracking near the latch after only 25hrs, now the replacement #2 hood has followed in it's foostep's in the same fashion with just over 50hrs. Now I was smart and had the dealer get me #3 replacement hood at the end summer and my warranty last year. Since the warping and cracking has gotten to the point of causing damage to the grill (128hrs) it's time to put the 3rd replacement on. At this point I don't want to cause any more damage to the grill than what has been done (minor) and I want to put the new hood on, but I'm very reluctant to do so since this will be the last one that I get from CC under warranty and at the stiff price of $400+ I don't want to be buying hoods every other year. I bought this tractor to last me for years and years and I already have a mental picture in my head of me mowing my lawn on a hoodless POS tractor....

Now the solution....

Since I know that the heat blowing across the motor and then the exhaust has been the culprit of the damage I fab'd up an additional heat shield to help direct the hot air down and away from the hood (see pic). Today was the first test and after mowing for close to 2 hours it seemed to be fine and appears to be doing as I hoped, although I'm kind of leery about altering the cooling path of the motor. Does anyone see a problem with this design??

Also has there been any recalls on these crappy hood or anything like that?? Now that my warranty have expired I feel kinda left out in the cold about this reoccurring and expensive problem....

Thanks
Troy

Just a thought. Your design has channeled all the hot air onto the PTO. My experience with electric PTO's is that they do not like excessive heat exposure. If you don't feel this is a concern a good design. I think if it was mine I would install a baffle inside the shield above the PTO to divert heat away from the PTO. Or fabricate a baffle/shield to attach to the top PTO mounting bolts that your current shield would go over the top of to divert heat.

/ So....Hood #3 (06 GT2554) #28  
I'm a new member but have spent many hours reading posts from members.
The photos are of the first and second hood (003 and 1461, respectively) broken at the hinge location. The second hood, installed by the dealer, did not have the plastic block off plate over the center louvers.

I removed the cover plate on the top of my hood and could tell a big difference in the amount of heat contained when I would raise the hood. Mine has the reinforcement that still remains on the center louvered section. I don't know why they added the cover unless it was to keep rain out. I don't know why anyone would leave it sitting outside uncovered anyway. Mine is a 2010 GT2550, but I think the hood is the same.

/ So....Hood #3 (06 GT2554)
Just a thought. Your design has channeled all the hot air onto the PTO. My experience with electric PTO's is that they do not like excessive heat exposure. If you don't feel this is a concern a good design. I think if it was mine I would install a baffle inside the shield above the PTO to divert heat away from the PTO. Or fabricate a baffle/shield to attach to the top PTO mounting bolts that your current shield would go over the top of to divert heat.

So far so good with the PTO. Been 2-3 years now.

Problem is that the hood now has broken back at the mounting hinge just like jason1010's...LOVE IT!!!!

/ So....Hood #3 (06 GT2554) #30  
So far so good with the PTO. Been 2-3 years now.

Problem is that the hood now has broken back at the mounting hinge just like jason1010's...LOVE IT!!!!

Sorry to hear your problem has returned. Have you considered measuring the stand-offs on the bootom of the hood where the hinge assembly attachs. Then using the stand-offs as pilots drill four holes through the hood then remove the broken parts with a dremel tool. Then fabricate new stand-offs and use four stove bolts to attach the hood to the hinge assembly. The round top of the four bolts should not destroy the aesthetics of the hood that much. I think I would consider this before spending four hundred dollars on another hood that in all likeihood will also break.