Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #1  

mls61

Tractor
Cub Cadet 2166
Cub Cadet 2166, Kohler engine, 360 hours, was running fine for a couple of hours last weekend. Turned off the engine with PTO still engaged to move an obstacle out of the way. Got back on and would not restart. Starter doesn't turn over, just faint click when I turn the key. Battery is new (less than 3 hours). Gas is fresh, oil/filter just changed. Checked and cleaned the major electrical connections to the PTO switch and the ignition.

Both fuses check out fine. Checked small wire that connects to starter with blade connector. Cleaned connector and pushed back on. Safety interlock connection switch under seat looks fine. Main power connection between battery & starter is fine. No loose connectors I can find. Cleaned old grass & dirt out of the well where the spark plug is, removed, cleaned and re-seated plug wire.

I'm thinking that since it was running just fine before, and the starter is NOT turning over at all, that it's an electrical issue, as in the PTO switch isn't closing properly, but I don't know how to determine that other than buying a new switch. Any help would be appreciated!

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #2  
This may seem a little obvious, but did you turn the PTO switch back off before trying to start it? After that I would check the brake pedal switch. Hopefully you find the problem before it drives you too crazy.

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166
I sure wish it were as simple as forgetting to disengage the PTO. I've tried about 60 times with the PTO off, about 20 times with it on(just to be sure). Of course, I always try with the brake fully depressed, and I can hear the switch activate when I engage the brake, so I THINK the brake switch is OK.

Somebody suggested I may have an issue with the charging system, and that I try to jump it. Just tried that, no luck, starter didn't budge.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
   / Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #4  
"Somebody suggested I may have an issue with the charging system, and that I try to jump it. Just tried that, no luck, starter didn't budge."

Bummer. But - so that we don't chase the wrong cause here, pls describe in some detail on just how/where you hooked up your leads to jump off the unit... will help to point out starter probs vs solenoid or other stuff. :)

I used a portable jump starter (that I keep in the back of my car) and connected positive to positive terminal of battery, negative to frame.

BTW, just borrowed my neighbor's Kubota BX2350 diesel...THAT's a nice tractor! Wish I had the $ to get one.

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #6  
I used a portable jump starter (that I keep in the back of my car) and connected positive to positive terminal of battery, negative to frame.
OK, that means all you bypassed/boosted was your tractor's battery.

You might try connecting that portable starter unit with negative lead to frame and then momentarily touch positive lead to tractor starter's positive post - may spark a bit, but if your starter energizes and begins to crank engine, then the starter is OK

Then still trouble further back in the start circuit. That could include the starter solenoid, related wiring, ignition switch or one of the several safety relays involved (cl/brake, seat, etc). Prolly best to trace those down using a meter or test light...
If you're not comfortable doing such, time to call in a pro, IMHO. Good luck.

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #7  
Remove spark plug/s and see if it will turn over with them out. Check voltage at starter connection while holding key in start position; 12 volts? If you have 12 volts at starter when key is turned to start and no volts when key is in off position; you are getting power to starter. Make sure ground wire on battery is good and ground wire at frame connection is clean. May be time to remove starter if you have voltage to starter. Clean and lube and then bench test it.

I tried connecting my portable starter to the positive terminal of the starter and negative to the frame to see if I could turn it. No dice.

I tested for voltage to the starter by placing the positive probe of my multimeter where the red power cable connects to the starter, and the negative probe on the frame. See picture. No voltage reading. Am I doing this right? The battery itself is reading 12 volts.

Thanks!
rdgbkq

/ Electrical troubleshooting help CC 2166 #9  
You either have 2 problems or you're doing something wrong. By "portable starter" I assume you mean an engine starting.power unit that can be used to jump dead batteries and start cars. If the unit is charged and has enough power, attaching the negative lead to the frame and the positive lead to the LARGE terminal on the starter should cause the starter motor to run. If it doesn't there is something wrong with the starter. Checking the voltage at the starter with a voltmeter requires all interlocks to be made (parking brake locked, PTO turned off etc.) and with the key turned to start position you should see 12 volts on one of the SMALL terminals on the starter. If that is OK and the starter doesn't turn the solenoid could be bad.

Bob B.

Thanks. Doing something wrong is always a strong possibility, and I really appreciate your help. The "small" connection on the starter is the one connected with a blade connector, right?