cub 1650 throttle..starting issues?

/ cub 1650 throttle..starting issues? #1  

meyer743

Hey all. New to the forum, new to the world of tractors. I recently bought a cub 1650 with the 16 hp Kohler single cyl. I read good reviews and wanted an older solid machine. After 1 time of mowing (about 2 + acres) the tractor had trouble running smoothe at full throttle. Kept wanting to bog down, then just quit and wouldn't start. Took the carb off, was clean, everything looked good. Took it to a mower repair guy, put a new plug in it, checked the points. Said the carb looked good, but he put a new (used) carb on it, and it fired up. Got the tractor back, mowed and ran good for about 3 hours yesterday, then it died again. Same issue. Would idle fine, but when went to full throttle, kept wanting to bog down, then finally died. Then didn't start at all. Any thoughts????? Thanks.

/ cub 1650 throttle..starting issues? #2  
Does it perk back up if you feather the choke? For some simple stuff, try loosening the gas cap when it starts to die. Plugged cap vents can cause this. The plastic bodied fuel pumps can also get hot from engine heat, distort and stop pumping full strength. Also make sure you use an OEM Kohler fuel filter. Many aftermarket ones have too high a pressure drop.

Joel

/ cub 1650 throttle..starting issues?
Doing anything with choke just kills it. I've tried loosening the gas cap. The fuel pump might be the issue. If it shuts off, or quits working, when it gets hot....should it start working again when it cools off? Thanks for the help.

/ cub 1650 throttle..starting issues? #4  
I don't believe the 1650 has a fuel pump. I know the 1450 didn't. The tank set above the engine and used gravity feed. The rubber fuel hose can deteriorate over time or be plugged with grass or something. Take a flashlight and check the bottom of the tank for any debris an remove the fuel line and check for a clog or swelling of the rubber.

Bob B.

/ cub 1650 throttle..starting issues? #5  
I used to tinker pretty heavily with older CC's some years back. I rebuilt several and a 1650 was one of them. Rebuilds were from the frame up and included complete engine rebuilds. Those old CC's were well built, heavy duty little tractors!!!

IIRC, my 1650 would suffer from vapor lock after the engine was used for a while and had a chance to get good and hot. The way the fuel line was routed coupled with the enclosed engine compartment all contributed to the vapor lock issue. Vapor lock symptoms I experienced were similar to what you are describing.

I rerouted the fuel line and it solved the problem on my 1650. Hope this helps on yours.

And while we're talking 1650's... The 1650 is a strong running machine, no doubt. Depending on how many hours are on the machine and the last time engine mounts were changed you may want to check out the engine mounts for fatigue. Engine mount fatigue and eventual failure was not that uncommon on the 1650 since the big 16 horse single cylinder engines introduced rotational vibrations that were **** on the mounts. The 1450 used the same mounting system but didn't experience engine mount problems to the degree the 1650 did mostly due to the smaller engine and associated vibrations.

Hope you find some of this information useful.

/ cub 1650 throttle..starting issues? #6  
The 1450 used the same mounting system but didn't experience engine mount problems to the degree the 1650 did mostly due to the smaller engine and associated vibrations.

Hope you find some of this information useful.

Yes it did. The engine in my 1450 ended up sitting on the frame and wore the aluminum oil pan to the point I hads to pull the engine and repalce the pan. The only indicationm I had was a lack of belt tension to the deck.

Bob B.

/ cub 1650 throttle..starting issues? #7  
Never said the 1450 didn't have the problem, just not to the degree the 1650 did. The 1250 had the problem too but not to the degree the 1450 did. Engine size was the driver in this problem. The fact is the whole Quiet line series had this issue and the bigger the engine the more pronounced the problem. But I still consider them a good garden tractor.

/ cub 1650 throttle..starting issues?
IIRC, my 1650 would suffer from vapor lock after the engine was used for a while and had a chance to get good and hot. The way the fuel line was routed coupled with the enclosed engine compartment all contributed to the vapor lock issue. Vapor lock symptoms I experienced were similar to what you are describing.

I rerouted the fuel line and it solved the problem on my 1650. Hope this helps on yours.

If this is the issue...which sounds like it could be....wouldn't it start back up after cooling down? After it died, I tried to start the next morning and it wouldn't even fire.

Thanks for the information!

/ cub 1650 throttle..starting issues? #9  
Hey all. New to the forum, new to the world of tractors. I recently bought a cub 1650 with the 16 hp Kohler single cyl. I read good reviews and wanted an older solid machine. After 1 time of mowing (about 2 + acres) the tractor had trouble running smoothe at full throttle. Kept wanting to bog down, then just quit and wouldn't start. Took the carb off, was clean, everything looked good. Took it to a mower repair guy, put a new plug in it, checked the points. Said the carb looked good, but he put a new (used) carb on it, and it fired up. Got the tractor back, mowed and ran good for about 3 hours yesterday, then it died again. Same issue. Would idle fine, but when went to full throttle, kept wanting to bog down, then finally died. Then didn't start at all. Any thoughts????? Thanks.

When the engine stops running and will not start, remove the spark plug and ground to the engine block with a pair of vice grip pliers, spin the engine over and look for a sharp robust spark on the plug gap. The ignition coil is probably failing after it get hot.