Cub Cadet LT 1042 Lawn Tractor/PTO Clutch

/ Cub Cadet LT 1042 Lawn Tractor/PTO Clutch #1  

Jay E

I have a Cub Cadet LT 1042 Tractor that dies when the PTO is engaged. There are no obstructions in the belt system or under the deck around the blades. Does this mean the electric clutch has gone out? Or is there another part I need to check? (The Fuse isn't blown on the tractor)
Thanks in advance for your input....

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet LT 1042 Lawn Tractor/PTO Clutch #2  
It could be the adjustment for the electric clutch is too tight. If fuse is not blown and when you engage the clutch it stalls motor It's either adjusted too tight or burned out. Try to adjust it first, there are three spring loaded adjustment screws at bottom facing up. back them off till you can get a 12 to 15 mm feeler gauge or shim stock to slide in at all three points.Then try to engage again. Borg Warner's seem to be the common maker of electric clutch.If you need to replace, check on eBay as price varies from about $150.00 and up.
DevilDog

Last edited:
   / Cub Cadet LT 1042 Lawn Tractor/PTO Clutch
yes it has the seat safety interlock switch.

/ Cub Cadet LT 1042 Lawn Tractor/PTO Clutch #5  
Many tractors will shut off the motor when the PTO is engaged if the seat isn't occupied or when reverse gear is selected. The sensors are a common cause of problems.

/ Cub Cadet LT 1042 Lawn Tractor/PTO Clutch #6  
It could be the adjustment for the electric clutch is too tight. If fuse is not blown and when you engage the clutch it stalls motor It's either adjusted too tight or burned out. Try to adjust it first, there are three spring loaded adjustment screws at bottom facing up. back them off till you can get a 12 to 15 mm feeler gauge or shim stock to slide in at all three points.Then try to engage again. Borg Warner's seem to be the common maker of electric clutch.If you need to replace, check on eBay as price varies from about $150.00 and up.
DevilDog

I know of no electromagnetic clutches that get set at 12-15mm. I am assuming it's a typo, and should be .012" to .015"

there are no adjustment screws on this warner electric clutch ......

there are no adjustments screws on this warner electric clutch........

/ Cub Cadet LT 1042 Lawn Tractor/PTO Clutch #9  
Electro-magnetic clutches used to be adjustable..... apparently a cost cutting measure. In any event, I'd be checking that seat switch and its wiring as that would cause the engine to die instantly when you turn the PTO on if not working correctly.