Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems...

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #1  

Jay E

I have a Cub Cadet LT 1042 that is about 5 years old, I replaced the mower Deck drive belts about two weeks prior and over the weekend the PTO Electric clutch starting locking up when the switch is pulled to start the mower deck.It locks up and kills the engine. I've checked the blades and belting system and see no obstructions to keep it from operating. I posted on the Lawn tractor forum and got a few replies saying that there should be some adjusting screws to adjust the clutch. I've pulled this clutch and see no adjusting screws. the clutch is held together with brads and has no screws at all. so I'm assuming that when we order this part it should come with the pulley attached to the clutch. Is there something I've missed on this adjustment? Or do I just need to replace this clutch altogether and be done with it? Any Ideas on the best pricing?
Thanks in advance for your input...

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #2  
Most likley the clutch bearing has locked up. Thats may be why you had to replace the belt because it was failing. The Warner clutch doesn't have any adjustment. The part number is 917-04163A and a OEM clutch is about $230 a aftermarket cutch can be had for less. The best price I found was here. MTD Electric Clutch

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems...
Thanks for the info, are the MTD Yardman Riders the makers of the Cub 1000 series tractors? I was looking at them and they are very much the same by looks and how they are set up. (Just wondering) I was thinking of trying one of their yard tractors, we have several acres to keep up and another mower would help alot. Anyone have any input about the Yardman Tractors?
Thanks ....

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #4  
MTD does own the Cub Cadet brand and I think the 1000 series mowers are made in MTD's plant with the larger tractors made at the Cub Cadet facilties. Mtd owns Troy-Bilt, White Outdoor, Yardman, Yard Machines, Bolens, Huskee, Arnold and Cub Cadet

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #5  
With all respect to those posting in this thread, but mebbe I'm missing something here.. OP said engine stalls when PTO is engaged. That means to me that PTO is energizing but somethin driven by the belt - an idler belt tension pulley or deck spindle - is not turning freely and stalling the engine ? If the PTO clutch brg were seized, wouldn't the PTO act as if it couldn't be shut off and try to drive the deck anytime the engine was running ?

switch does engage the PTO clutch but the engine bogs down and dies it doesn't stay engaged (Stick) so the switch is working and engages the clutch but it dies like it's too tight. I dunno.

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #7  
With all respect to those posting in this thread, but mebbe I'm missing something here.. OP said engine stalls when PTO is engaged. That means to me that PTO is energizing but somethin driven by the belt - an idler belt tension pulley or deck spindle - is not turning freely and stalling the engine ? If the PTO clutch brg were seized, wouldn't the PTO act as if it couldn't be shut off and try to drive the deck anytime the engine was running ?

You are correct if one of the PTO bearings were siezed it wouldn't shut off. He should look futher at the driven belt for something hanging up. Also try engaging the pto without the belt on to make sure it not shorted out.

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #8  
Tnx for the comeback, OM, now understand.

Jay - in your original post you noted that belts (plural) were changed ? There's only one deck drive belt for that 2 spindle mower... .
Best recheck your replacement belt(s) routing against that called out in the manual.
If that, the pulleys and the spindles are all good, mebbe time to look for one of the safety switches (clutch/seat/PTO) to be acting up and killing your engine..

I did say "belts" But meant Belt I have the belt installed properly and have checked the idlerpulleys and greased and spun each spindle when the belt was installed. I rechecked them again & the belt installation as well after the clutch started acting up but I can see nothing that would be causing this other than the clutch being bad. I'll have to check the safety switches to see if this is an issue but the tractor will operate normally without the PTO engaged. I do know the seat safety switch works properly when you get off of it with the PTO off. So I don't think it could be the seat switch. I'm checking it as I have the time before work.

/ Cub Cadet LT1042 Electric Clutch problems... #10  
Jay - depending on the model year, that may be an Ogura PTO clutch. Link: Ogura Industrial Corp. - Electromagnetic Clutches and Brakes
Dig around there for more troubleshooting tips.
The other thing is in looking at the wiring schematic, there is a relay (725-1648)between the clutch and the seat switch that could be causing trouble? I can't tell you just how to check it, but here's the schematic for you to see: