Cub Cadet 42' 19hp JUNK

/ Cub Cadet 42' 19hp JUNK #1  

Melissa H

8/3/2009

Where to begin...... First is to warn all future Cub Cadet Purchasers!
To start out we have an acre of land so we decided to purchase a 42' Cub Cadet May 14, 2006. We have had NOTHING but problems since we bought it from the Tractor Supply CO. The first time we had a problem with this Cub Cadet lawn mower was on July 31, 2006, yes less than 2 1/2 months after purchasing (just the beginning). The problem was blowing smoke and oil from the front part of the motor, then backfiring & killing grass. After not having a lawn mower for approx 3-4 weeks and making other arraignments to cut our grass, we got it back. The repair shop said it was supposedly fixed by changing the valve cover gasket, yea right.
The second time it there was a problem was May 12, 2007 and it just so happened that it was blowing oil & smoke, backfiring & still killing grass. Now 2 times in a year we had it "serviced" again FOR THE SAME PROBLEM LESS THAN A YEAR BEFORE. Again the lawn mower was gone for approx 3-4 wks and again it was supposedly fixed by changing the valve cover gasket, yea right. Now mind you we live in Ohio and you can only use the lawn mower roughly 5-6 months out of the year so having less than 60 hrs on this Cub Cadet mower and the second time in for same problem.
Ok so now for the THIRD time would be NOV 5, 2008! Once again FOR THE SAME PROBLEM plus one more issue: now not starting and blowing smoke and oil, backfiring, KILLING grass. So they changed the valve cover gasket (AGAIN) and starter-alternator. Once again they said it was fixed after being gone and making other arraignments to cut our grass, we got it back for 3-4 weeks. This was all within having LESS than 100 hrs.
Now for this last time June 24, 2009. Our extended warrant ran out May 14, 2009, but of course having less that 15 hrs since it was "repaired or fixed" again it started to blow smoke and oil, backfire & kill my grass we had to call the extended warranty center, National Electronic Warranty. They were aware that our warranty ran out, but they authorized a service center to pick up our mower and started to repair it. Well after not hearing from the service center for over 2 weeks I called to get an update. They told me that they had been trying to contact N.E.W. for 2 wks but could NOT get a response to get the ok to fix the Cub Cadet lawn mower. I called N.E.W. myself & told the story that the service center was not getting a response. Basically I was called a liar until the phone rep called the service center direct. They couldn稚 explain why no response was being given so he passed me on to a supervisor. The next day the service center received an e-mail that said 摘xtended Warranty expired, bill customer? Now N.E.W. knew that the warranty expired but authorized everything anyway. We have been in contact with Cub Cadet & Kohler directly. Of course they kept passing it off to the other person. Kohlers solution to it blowing 4 valve cover gaskets in 3 YRS was to change the valve cover because it COULD be warped. Well I'm not a mechanic but I would think if it was warped it would leak all the time. Cub Cadet has been helpful but still CANNOT tell me why it is killing my grass. The answer to why the mower was killing the grass to the service center when they called MTD & Kohler was 的t is what it is DON探 let the lawn mower set on the grass. Now I don't know about anyone else but we DID NOT pay $1600+ to have a lawn mower KILL spots in our yard. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!! So since the mower has been gone since June 24, 2009 and making other arraignments to cut our grass. All we were asking was a replacement mower or our money back but both still to no avail. This has been a very LONG ON GOING problem that is extremely frustrating. Nobody is willing to say 努e see you have a problem (same problem at that) what can we do to dissolve this problem. Just a warning 泥O NOT BUY CUB CADET they DO NOT stand behind equipment, if so then I would think we would of had a new lawn mower or repair correctly by now! We liked the lawn mower but just NOT ALL the problems that came with it.

Sincerely
A Disappointed Customer Of a Cub Cadet Lawn Mower

/ Cub Cadet 42' 19hp JUNK #2  
Sorry to hear of your experiences. For future reference to anyone, Cub Cadet's today aren't the International Cub Cadet's of years ago. Today Cub Cadet is owned by MTD, and it shows here. They're no better than the cheap "Walmart Special" tractors.

/ Cub Cadet 42' 19hp JUNK #3  
As normal, it has to be Cub Cadet!!! NOT!!!! every thing wrong here points to Kohler not Cadet. oil leaked on grass kills it.

This is so old when a tractor manufacturer gets blamed because a major engine manufacturer that has a trusted name makes a mistake!

It is doubly hard to work for the warrantee for the dealer on these and the repair center is reponsible to kohler more so then Cadet.

As far as other statement about the Walmart, MTD builds at every level of mower just what does someone want to spend! The quality of any mower is in the dollar spent, one of the most repected after market companies for lawn mowers uses the MTD company to build their mowers.

You never know who is building who, like Murray building john deere mowers.

/ Cub Cadet 42' 19hp JUNK #4  
That sounds like a Kohler/Service Center issue, not Cub Cadet. Kohler makes the engine, and I guess the clowns at the place of service can't fix it. If it's been in for the same problem 4 times, it should be time for the servicer to eat a little of the cost and fix it right.
It shouldn't be Cub's fault if the engine has problems & Mechanic's can't fix it. They won't give you a new mower for another suppliers problems.
I would try a different service place.
Oh, and what do you mean by killing the grass? the whole lawn? Just where you park it?

/ Cub Cadet 42' 19hp JUNK #5  
8/3/2009
1*Where to begin...... First is to warn all future Cub Cadet Purchasers!
To start out we have an acre of land so we decided to purchase a 42' Cub Cadet May 14, 2006. We have had NOTHING but problems starter-alternator. Once again they said it was fixed after being gone and making other arraignments to cut our grass, we got it back for 3-4 weeks. This was all within having LESS than 100 hrs.
Now for this last time June 24, 2009. Cadet has been helpful but still CANNOT tell me why it is killing my grass. DON探 let the lawn mower set on the grass. Now I don't know about anyone else but
2 we*DID NOT pay $1600+ to have a lawn mower KILL spots in our yard. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!! So since the mower has been gone since June 24, 2009 and making other arraignments to cut our grass. All we were asking was a replacement mower or our money back but both still to no avail. This has been a very LONG ON GOING problem that is extremely frustrating. Nobody is willing to say 努e see you have a problem (same problem at that) what can we do to dissolve this problem..
3*DO NOT BUY CUB CADET they DO NOT stand behind their equipment
1*This is a cheap low end entry level product along with many other manufactures so such problems arent limited To only CC.
I've heard complaints about JD Craftsman And the endless MTD clones of once respected dependable labels.
2*The solution is simple don't park it and leave it running
3*In your case it's Kohler that's not standing behind their product not CC.
Engine manufacturers are responsible for engines not the tractor manufacturers.
CC isn't the only Manufacturer that uses Kohler engines so if you had bought say a JD with that motor on it you would have had the same problem with the JD.
I ran into the same thing you did except in my case it was a Wards PoweKraft tractor with a B&S engine with a bad motor that never did run rite.
Never did get it worked out even after having it for over 10 years /and you think you have problems.

/ Cub Cadet 42' 19hp JUNK #6  
I have a 1550CC and I love it!!
The first thing I would do is take it to a DIFFERENT repair shop. Blowing a gasket is a minor even and is probably caused by a crankcase vent being stopped up. If the vent is working pressure won't build up. There is minor pressure/vaccum that works the fuel pump but it shouldn't blow the gasket.
As for MTD they might be the best thing to happen to Cub Cadet! I have a 12.5hp 38 inch cut MTD that is 16 years old and still runs and cuts exellent. I call it my "Baby Bushhog". I cleared my two acres with it and the grass was 2' tall and hadn't been cut in over a year.
And as stated, your problem is with Kohler not CC.

/ Cub Cadet 42' 19hp JUNK #7  
While I was no fan of the Cub Cadet I (briefly) owned, my experience was the opposite--Cub Cadet stood behind their product and went beyond what they HAD to do to ensure my satisfaction. Of course, my issues were with the parts of the mower that Cub Cadet built, not the engine; that Kohler Command was great.

I do suspect that your experience would've been better had you purchased from a Cub Cadet dealer instead of TSC or any other national retailer. The dealer would've had more incentive to keep you happy and go to bat for you with his territory rep.

/ Cub Cadet 42' 19hp JUNK #8  
8/3/2009

1*Where to begin...... First is to warn all future Cub Cadet Purchasers!
Sincerely
A Disappointed Customer Of a Cub Cadet Lawn Mower
1*You need to forget about CC and warn about Kohler since they are used on other than CC tractors.

/ Cub Cadet 42' 19hp JUNK #9  
Sorry to hear of your experiences. For future reference to anyone, Cub Cadet's today aren't the International Cub Cadet's of years ago. Today Cub Cadet is owned by MTD, and it shows here. 1*They're no better than the cheap "Walmart Special" tractors.
1*Not exactly so.
There is quite a difference between their low end Box Store product and their high end stuff
just like there is with JD.

/ Cub Cadet 42' 19hp JUNK #10