Shattered bearings in deck spindle lt1050

/ Shattered bearings in deck spindle lt1050 #1  

Opposablethumbs

Tractor
Cub Cadet LT1050
I have a Cub lt1050 purchaced in 2005 with a 50" deck.

Today I removed my blades to sharpen them. After reinstalling them the engine would stall when I engaged the PTO. After a little troubleshooting I discovered the belt was off the right side blade pulley. I reinstalled it but everytime I pulled the PTO knob the engine kept wanting to stall. Eventually I discovered the right spindle was seized. I removed it, dissasembled and found the bearings damaged, one twisted and the other cage actually torn, the spacer sleeve was broken into pieces. I had torqued the nuts when I assembled the blades back on to 90 ft lbs per the manual (70 - 90), Did I do it to myself?

Oh yeah, there was plenty of grease in there and no dirt or moisture.

I am guessing that the sleeve in there is for some sort of preload? Maybe like a crush sleeve?

I am getting new bearings tomorrow at the local Cub dealer. Mebbe i'll try the 70ft lb torque this time?

If anyone else has had a similar experience I would appreciate hearing a solution.

/ Shattered bearings in deck spindle lt1050 #2  
You need to get a new spacer also. The spacer is precisely ground to maintain the proper preload on the bearings and without it you'll destroy the bearings the first time you tighten the blade nut.

/ Shattered bearings in deck spindle lt1050
You need to get a new spacer also. The spacer is precisely ground to maintain the proper preload on the bearings and without it you'll destroy the bearings the first time you tighten the blade nut.

Sure. I understand why it's there. I picked up 2 new Timken bearings and a spacer tonight. I also discovered the large spindle bolt was bent pretty seriously. I straightened that and got the spindle reassembled. Spins sweet now. I ran out of daylight before I got it back in the deck.

/ Shattered bearings in deck spindle lt1050 #4  
Whatever the blade hit to bend the bolt likely cracked the spacer and when you retorqued the nut it failed completly. I'd lay the blade next to the another one to make sure its not bent also.

/ Shattered bearings in deck spindle lt1050
I'll go along with that. I had some landscaping done in the last 2 years and doubled the size of my lawn area. The terrain hereabouts is very rocky. New things to hit. There were some... impacts... recently which is why the blades were off. I have new High Lift blades coming for my 3-bagger I just mounted so I will just replace them. They have done their bit.

oldmachinist huh? My background is manufacturing starting back in the early '70's. Bridgeport mills, heavy and light vertical and horizontal mills. Then surface grinding including Blanchard, cylindrical and centerless. Switched careers to Quality branching out to CMM programming. Old indeed.

/ Shattered bearings in deck spindle lt1050 #6  
oldmachinist huh? My background is manufacturing starting back in the early '70's. Bridgeport mills said:
Sounds just about like my background but instead of going to the quality side I went to the CNC programming side of manufacturing and then into management. Then before the economy started going south I took a buy out and retired. I kinda saw the writing on the wall about the economy a year before it really tanked and was able to position myself so that it didn't effect me.