1966 cub cadet 123 motor rebuild

/ 1966 cub cadet 123 motor rebuild #1  

over my head

This summer I purchased a 1966 cub cadet model 123 for $350. Did some work on it this fall getting it ready for winter. On the first big snow I blew the motor. My fault, the oil was low and it ran down faster than I thought it would. Yes I had checked it several times but this was the first time I was putting the tractor to real work since getting it. The rod didn't go through the engine so I am considering rebuilding it. It still turns.
My first question is do you think it is a good idea to attempt this? I have some mechanical ability and am interested in the project. I have already started but could be convinced to use a mechanic if that would be the right thing to do.
Second question would be should I just repower? It is more expensive and my fear is that I will get a less well made engine that will not be as good as what I have. I have looked a Kohler and B&S as possible sources for new engines. Price seems to be in the $1500-1800 range.
Also is this model considered a narrrow frame?

/ 1966 cub cadet 123 motor rebuild
never mind, motor is cracked behind the starter. Going to need a new one. Any advise on a good engine to repower with?:mad:

/ 1966 cub cadet 123 motor rebuild #3  
the cheapest thing to do would be to find a similar donor and just run it. otherwise, theres a few websites that discuss repowering in pretty good depth

/ 1966 cub cadet 123 motor rebuild #4  
Purchase another mower and sell the parts from the one you have now. If memory serves the Cub 123 had a Kohler K301 engine. You will think you have purchased shares in a gold mine when buying a replacement Kohler K301 cast iron engine.

Checked out prices and it seems that I would have to repower with something else as the K301 is no longer made. Found a guy on ebay that had one remanufactured for pulling. He wanted @ $650. Then someone in email suggested a vangurd 18 hp but didn't say the make.

would a K321 work as a replacement? It's a 14 hp. Aside from the dipstick being moved it looks almost identical

/ 1966 cub cadet 123 motor rebuild #7  
I have a friend that has a brand new k321 never ran complete with starter he wants 1200.00 or best offer.

/ 1966 cub cadet 123 motor rebuild #8  
I have a friend that has a brand new k321 never ran complete with starter he wants 1200.00 or best offer.

I repowered my 129 Cub Cadet with a 16 HP kohler Kseries but it has to have been configured for a Cub they have a different oil pan and I think the PTO shaft is different. Where are you located?

I am in vermont. A few places on the net have engine blocks for sale, would need a lot of parts off my current one.
Will

/ 1966 cub cadet 123 motor rebuild #10  
Over my head....be careful when selecting a different Kohler engine.....some of them are not made to fit in the narrow frame....