Cub Cadet 1554 blown head gasket

/ Cub Cadet 1554 blown head gasket #1  

smithmx47

This Tractor has 108 hours on it and I mow 2 acers, it's a 27 horse Kohler. The right cylinder head gasket is blown, I have heard they were known for this. I have heard they blow again after they have been repaired. Has anyone heard of a fix for this?

Thank you for any advice or help anyone can give me.

/ Cub Cadet 1554 blown head gasket #2  
"Thread Bump" from the distant past:

I'm looking at buying a 2005 Super LT 1554 (allegedly with 300 hours on it--no key, yet, to check) and wondered about this, as I see there is an oil seepage on the R.H. cylinder head, which I assumed was just the valve cover, but now I'll take a closer look.

So I'm interested in any issues invovling head gaskets (or there "DO NOT BUY" issues, re: the Super LT 1554.

Thanks, much,

My Hoe

/ Cub Cadet 1554 blown head gasket #3  
This Tractor has 108 hours on it and I mow 2 acers, it's a 27 horse Kohler. The right cylinder head gasket is blown, I have heard they were known for this. I have heard they blow again after they have been repaired. Has anyone heard of a fix for this?

Thank you for any advice or help anyone can give me.

Check the thread holes in the block when you remove both heads. Don't try cheating and only replace one head gasket. If the thread holes are good and still pristine try increasing the torque by five pounds. Do not try to reuse a head gasket if you make a mistake during reassembly. Start again with a new unused head gasket. Also use new head bolts.

I thought Kohler had corrected the improper torque problem on the right head. Most Kohler engines also call for torquing the head bolts without the push rods being installed. You can fabricate a tool using a screw driver and a wire loop to rock the rocker arm opening the valve and then sliding the push rod under the rocker into it proper position.

/ Cub Cadet 1554 blown head gasket #4  
Check the thread holes in the block when you remove both heads. Don't try cheating and only replace one head gasket. If the thread holes are good and still pristine try increasing the torque by five pounds. Do not try to reuse a head gasket if you make a mistake during reassembly. Start again with a new unused head gasket. Also use new head bolts.

I thought Kohler had corrected the improper torque problem on the right head. Most Kohler engines also call for torquing the head bolts without the push rods being installed. You can fabricate a tool using a screw driver and a wire loop to rock the rocker arm opening the valve and then sliding the push rod under the rocker into it proper position.

Hey, Gator6x4,

Great information--especially for the OP, who no one responded to, I believe, until you did, now--but thanks just the same! (Though it will be more useful to me once I actually buy the machine, of course.)

And I appreciate learning that this R.H. Head Gasket was an issue, for Kohler--good to know.

My Hoe

Last edited: