Cub Cadet = Specific Belts?

/ Cub Cadet = Specific Belts? #1  

pburchett

Tractor
Ford 640 & Kubota MX5200HST
Are Cub Cadet belts specific to their mowers and applications meaning I will have to get an original Cub Cadet belt ($50) or will a generic belt work ($10). I need a belt for the LTX 1050VT the belt numbers are 954-04240 (size= ス x 50). I see nothing special about the belt, but was wondering.

/ Cub Cadet = Specific Belts? #2  
Sort of depends - I think the 1050 has a belt driven transmission? If its the deck belt go with a local source. I have used a standard belt on my mower deck for 8 years (auto parts store) and its been fine.

The reason for the transmission drive belt being cub sourced is they may have properties in the belt designed to slip in certian conditions (I tried a standard belt on a Maytag washer once and found the error in my ways) That said for $10 I would probably try a generic first and if issues crop up go to Cub belt.

/ Cub Cadet = Specific Belts? #3  
I had exactly the same thought on my JD, but after buying 2 belts one was a hair smaller and one a hair bigger. I ended up breaking down and getting the JD belt. I just couldn't see paying over $50 for a belt. I hope to have better luck on my cub when it is time for a belt.

/ Cub Cadet = Specific Belts? #4  
I would got with OEM belt. They are sized for your tractor. I had to replace the mower drive belt last summer. It had a big chunk out of it for a couple of seasons. I just ran it til it broke. The new belt cost about $41.
Taking the less expensive approach never seems to work for me. (LOL)

Michael