2165 Garden Tractor Reverse Mowing

/ 2165 Garden Tractor Reverse Mowing #1  

iamanoddfellow

Hello everyone. I am new here and tried searching to find the answer, but didn't have much luck. I recently acquired my father-in-laws, cub 2165 garden tractor. It is in great shape...13 years old with only 190 hours on it. I have to find out how to mow in reverse. That kill feature is killing me. I also own a newer model 1050. I can turn the key back, push the button and awy I go. Please can someone help me with my 2165 situation?

David

/ 2165 Garden Tractor Reverse Mowing #2  
On my 3165, there is a safety switch up under the mower frame that gets activated by a little metal bracket attached to the "reverse" pedal. Simply bend that little metal bracket or remove it and then the tractor will never know when you press on the reverse pedal. I'm not responsible if you have a future accident caused by this modification.

/ 2165 Garden Tractor Reverse Mowing #3  
I had a 2185, and the setup sounds similar to gary's 3165, except that on mine, the mechanical lever that depressed the switch was spring-loaded (assuming your 2165 is a hydro). I used a couple of hose clamps, one around the lever and the other thru that one and then around another pedal shaft(?) - did it so long ago I don't recall all the details - to pull it back so it no longer made contact with the switch when I stomped on the reverse pedal.

/ 2165 Garden Tractor Reverse Mowing #4  
The new Rev-Tec works great. As far as I'm concerned there's no difference between having it and not having it....other than you have to hit the button. Once activated it's like it doesn't have a 'safety switch'.
Makes wonder....................WHY? (I know the reason but.....)

/ 2165 Garden Tractor Reverse Mowing #5  
.. there's no difference between having it and not having it....other than you have to hit the button. Once activated it's like it doesn't have a 'safety switch'.
Makes wonder....................WHY? (I know the reason but.....)

I hear you. You can visualize the corporate legal staff hashing that out. 'Yes he backed over his kid, but he assumed the responsibility once he made that pretty LED light up on the dash.'

Joel