Head gasket replacemant question

/ Head gasket replacemant question #1  

drifter2518

Silver Member
Tractor
MF GC2400 that replaced retired CC 2518 and retired CC 2160
I had the right side head gasket replaced on my 2518 last week. what I want to know is did I get ripped off?? Dealer replaced gasket, removed mouse nest somewhere in engine,, put tube in spare front tire I had, replaced air filter. The total time charged was 3.76 hours.When I first asked how long it would take to replace gasket, was told no more than a couple of hours (To me that means 2). Total cost for labor was $210. Parts $ 33. Pick up and delivery $30. With tax total $299. To me that was WAY TOO MUCH!! Did I get ripped off??

/ Head gasket replacemant question #2  
That's a very reasonable price IMO. My Cub shops charge ~$65/hr labor and the parts are marked up ridiculously. ~2hrs for the HG an hour or 2 for the rest + parts, tax, etc. $299 is fair. You probably overheated due to the rodent nest blocking your cooling and toasted the head gasket.

Joel

/ Head gasket replacemant question #3  
Did the head gasket myself on a Kohler twin 25hp Command. Took me the better part of a day, 6 hours plus. You got a very reasonable charge for labor, and parts. Good dealer, stay with them, a keeper.

But,..... if it makes you feel better, then you got reamed, taken to the cleaners, they saw you comming, bent over the barrel.....etc.

/ Head gasket replacemant question #4  
i dont think thats bad either. going to a dealer for anything isnt cheap. id suggest finding a good small engine mechanic and going to him if theres a problem with the labor rates at the dealer. maybe a guy at the dealer has a shop under the table.

/ Head gasket replacemant question #5  
Yup...you got a good deal there.