help needed with cub cadet purchase (used)

/ help needed with cub cadet purchase (used) #1  

Big Hammer

Bronze Member
I went and looked at an International Cub Cadet yesterday that was for sale. Unfortunately it was in very poor condition; I didn't buy it... but I was tempted. What a cool tractor.

The International Cub Cadet is built more like a real tractor than a garden tractor. Had hydraulic drive rear end, hydraulic mowing deck. Built like a tank.

I want to find another one, one that has been better maintained. Can somebody here tell me a little about Cub Cadets? Apparently International (IH) no longer has any connection with the 'new generation' cub cadets.

At what point did the machine change from the old one I found? How new of a machine can i get that will be built similar to the one I found? I am not interested in anything resembling a Craftsman as far as quality!

I see one on CL for sale, it is a model 1330. Is it anything like the other one I passed on?

Thanks alot

Mark

/ help needed with cub cadet purchase (used) #2  
International Harvester used to make Cub Cadets until they sold the product line to MTD around 1981 ( I think).

Roughly speaking, there was the original Cub Cadet that had a 7 hp engine and variations thereon, then in the later 60's there was a more refined version 106 and on series, then in the early to mid 1970's there was the 1250-1450-1650 series that had the engine panels,and finally there was a more refined version 582-682--series of which I think there was even a diesel version that is highly sought after.

Some are of the opinion that the 147-167 series were the best of the bunch because they had solid engine mounts, no side panels, etc so they were the most serviceable. The rubber engine mounts on the 1250-1450-1650 series eventually fail and are pricey and a pain, IMO, to replace.

Someone else would have to give you the history since MTD.
Most of the products are discussed in detail at: IHRegistry Home

Does this help?

/ help needed with cub cadet purchase (used)
Yes, very helpful!

If anyone else has knowledge of the model 1330, plz let me hear from you. Or any other info as well.

thanks much

MArk

Also, the 1330 that I found has a Kohler 12.5 HP engine, electric pto for blade engagement, 38" cutting deck.

Seller says the hydrostatic 'dump valve' does not work. Says the valve allows you to manually push the mower around when it's not running. :confused:

Asking price is $575 Whaddya think?

Thanks

Mark

PS is this a model manufactured after IH sold to MTD?

/ help needed with cub cadet purchase (used) #6  
in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the higher end mtd built cubs. for alot of years, they actually carried on the same frame ih designed. i dont know anything about the 1330, but all the cub cadets up through the late 80s are actually identical to the international built cubs. even the dash panel is the same. its the lower end cubs that gave mtd a bad name, my 3185 is very well built and has given me little trouble beyond regular wear and tear and maintenance.

/ help needed with cub cadet purchase (used) #7  
Hi BigHammer, the 1330 is a lawn tractor produced in the MTD era. The upper end MTD built garden tractors carried on the tradition of IH and are overall very nice tractor. The 1330 is a lawn tractor, it has a belt drive transmission and is mainly designed for lawn mowing. I believe that $575 is too high of a price for a lawn tractor. While there are many lawn tractors from this series still going, there are equally as many that are in the junk pile with transmissions that gave out. If you are patient I am sure that a garden tractor will pop up in that price range over the summer.

/ help needed with cub cadet purchase (used) #8  
Hello Bighammer, my opinion is that the tractors up to 1989 and before are the better of the cubs....i have had a model 100, circa 1964, and i have a model 1811, circa 1988....they are very good tractors.....I had a 1996 model 2130, it had a 13 hp kohler. It was a piece of crap.....i think that the older ones are when they were made to last......all of this is my opinion, others may not agree.......hope it helps

/ help needed with cub cadet purchase (used) #9  
2130 is an lt. how can you compare those to 2 of the better gts ever made? op, how much cash are you looking to spend and what are you looking to do? you might think you want to spend as little as possible, but a little more now, might save alot later.

/ help needed with cub cadet purchase (used) #10  
Have you ever been to a local cub dealer lately? All the tractors that are being worked on and torn down are the 90s models and newer. I know the 2130 is a lawn tractor, so wasnt the 100 that i had......the new ones are junk. Like i said my opinion.....i was talking about dependability......the last 2 decades have not been the best for the cubs as far as i can see.......