cub cadet stalling after ten minutes running - recovers when i turn off the blades

/ cub cadet stalling after ten minutes running - recovers when i turn off the blades #1  

coolcat7fl

I have a used cub cadet 3205-- bought it used a year ago. When i mow grass, after about 10 minutes or so, it starts to sputter-- if i turn off the blades, it will usually recover and seems to run fine when the blades are not engaged, but soon after engaging blades again, it starts to sputter. I usually park it and the next day it will work for about 10 minutes again (obviously i need it to work longer than this as i have about 2 acres to mow)...

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Is it electrical? fuel? something else?

I did change the fuel filter, but that didnt' help.

thanks

/ cub cadet stalling after ten minutes running - recovers when i turn off the blades #2  
Does that have an electric blade PTO like like my i1050. Maybe the clutch on the PTO is placing too much drag on the system.

/ cub cadet stalling after ten minutes running - recovers when i turn off the blades #3  
restricted fuel supply.. might chk fuel filter and gas cap vent not stopped up.. if it's a gasoline engine, might want to drop carb bowl and empty out any trash/water accumulation...

/ cub cadet stalling after ten minutes running - recovers when i turn off the blades
does anyone know where the fuel pump is on the model 3205? I think it might be fuel related as the filter has barely any fuel in it

/ cub cadet stalling after ten minutes running - recovers when i turn off the blades #5  
Sounds like the ignition coil on one of the cylinders is getting hot and then not producing the correct voltage. Run the mower until it starts sputtering and then remove the plug wires one at a time while the engine is running with a pair of insulated pliers. It sounds like the engine is laboring on one cylinder when attempting to provide power when under load from the mowing deck. A fifty-fifty chance exists you will remove the spark plug wire on the bad coil the first attempt and the engine will die. If this occurrs, reattach the spark plug wire and restart the motor and then remove the other plug wire. Also if it is the number one cylinder you may have to let the engine cool down before it will start.

/ cub cadet stalling after ten minutes running - recovers when i turn off the blades #6  
there r a lot of good ideas here....i am thinking fuel.....my cub 1811 was run out of gas when my son was using it, and i had trouble keeping it going after filling it back up. when i put a load on it like engaging the blades, it would sputter like ****.........keep us posted......good luck

/ cub cadet stalling after ten minutes running - recovers when i turn off the blades #7  
I have a used cub cadet 3205-- bought it used a year ago. When i mow grass, after about 10 minutes or so, it starts to sputter-- if i turn off the blades, it will usually recover and seems to run fine when the blades are not engaged, but soon after engaging blades again, it starts to sputter. I usually park it and the next day it will work for about 10 minutes again (obviously i need it to work longer than this as i have about 2 acres to mow)...

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Is it electrical? fuel? something else?

I did change the fuel filter, but that didnt' help.

thanks
When the unit starts to sputter, run the engine with choke on. If it run ok, you have a fuel problem.

/ cub cadet stalling after ten minutes running - recovers when i turn off the blades #8  
does anyone know where the fuel pump is on the model 3205? I think it might be fuel related as the filter has barely any fuel in it

don't get fooled by the "empty fuel filter" thing - many behave that way.
Fuel pump should be located on/near the Kawi engine.

link to owner's manual: PDF Manual Web Archive

replace fuel filter, clean gas cap vent, clean radiator, keep engine side panels in place. Drop carb bowl and clean.

/ cub cadet stalling after ten minutes running - recovers when i turn off the blades #9  
As far as I know all 3K series have electric fuel pumps as opposed to the valve cover mounted pulse pumps used on 2K series. I've seen a few posts over the years in regards to issues with the electric pumps.

Joel

/ cub cadet stalling after ten minutes running - recovers when i turn off the blades #10  
my 3k has the vacuum pump next to the valve cover. this sounds exactly like mine did last year, and mine ended up having a thrown rod. maybe your pump is vapor locking after it gets hot, or is worn out and not functioning after it gets hot.