cub cadet rzt 50 trany problem

/ cub cadet rzt 50 trany problem #1  

cadet cub

Hi Guys I joined so that I could supply one of the member with an answer to his problem THANKS

/ cub cadet rzt 50 trany problem #2  
Hello! Thanks for joining TBN!

/ cub cadet rzt 50 trany problem #3  
I sure wish that you could have helped me. My RZT-50 transmissions went bad after 3 years (200 hrs). I ended up scrapping it after a long runaround from the dealer and from the manufacturer with no resolution, other than a $1900 repair estimate.:mad:

/ cub cadet rzt 50 trany problem #4  
me two - I baught the rzt 50 with ezt tranny, it went after about 150 hours twice. So I upgraded (ha) to one with the IZT - it now after 200 hours has the tranney going on right side. And also my dealer does not care - he just wanted my money and shot me out the door - crap dont by this

/ cub cadet rzt 50 trany problem #5  
Thanks for joining in guys. Can I ask how old your RZT's were/are. I have one that is two years old and 70 hours now, I follow these threads with interest and will look more closely for problems on my RZT. I mow over two acres each week.

Thanks
Steve

/ cub cadet rzt 50 trany problem #6  
Thanks for joining in guys. Can I ask how old your RZT's were/are. I have one that is two years old and 70 hours now, I follow these threads with interest and will look more closely for problems on my RZT. I mow over two acres each week.

Thanks
Steve

RZT-50
Bought new in late 2005 for just under $3K from a local farm & commercial equipment dealer who advertises as a cub cadet dealer. (paying $100 more that I would have at a big-box store, in hopes of getting good advice & service)

Used about 2 hours per week to mow a residential lawn with a slight slope. Never mowed long or wet grass.
Stored inside a garage
Oil Changed about every 50 hours. Oil, air & gas filters changed every spring.
Changed blades after 2 years, to get a second set so I could keep one set sharp..

In the late spring of 2009, it passed away with just over 200 hours on it.

Left transmission lost almost all power. Right side lost some power. Dealer diagnosed it as the left transmission being gone, and the right close to it. He said that it was a "common problem with the RTZs". Estimated cost to fix was just under $2000. Said that the transmissions were not repairable & had to be replaced as total units, for $800+ each.

Engine was still like new, no oil burning, easy starting. Mower deck and pretty much all else was in perfect condition.

Gave it to my neighbor, who wanted the engine. - after keeping it in my garage for almost a year, hoping that it would heal itself, but it didn't :)

I liked the mower & was happy with it until the decline & failure of the transmissions over a period of 3 or 4 weeks. It had the look of a machine that was going to last quite a while.

I was very unhappy with the lack of customer concern by both the manufacturer and the "official" cub cadet dealer (who bad-mouthed the RZTs and tried to upsell me to another more expensive brand, rather than show any interest in helping me make a case for help from cub, who essentially said "out of warranty - you lose".

Hope this helps

- "drive-by"

/ cub cadet rzt 50 trany problem #7  
Even with the 4yrs/200hrs, I still would have attempted a phone calling, letter writting campaign with Hydrogear corp (makers of the RZT hydrostats) to see if they could help you out in any way. Changing engine oil and keeping the machine in the garage are great, but that doesn't help prevent the areas around the hydros from getting choked with debris, overheating the hydros. This may not have been an issue for you at all, just tossing it out there.

Joel

/ cub cadet rzt 50 trany problem #8  
Hi all,
Hope somebody out there has some insight.
I have the troybilt version of the rzt 50. Same builder I believe put all these machines on the market because mine appears identical to the cab cadet version.

50 hours , 1 year old and the right tranny appears to be failing in forward speed. To drive straight, there's a huge differential between the drive levers. Today I drove along a relatively steep slope, cutting a ditch, and afterward both transmissions operated at the same speed. I thought I was onto something, but after a minute or so the right tranny slowed down again. I repeated the manoeuvre with the same result, a short period of full speed capability. Any one, any ideas.

I'll check the brakes as recommended by an earlier post.
?
Thanks.
Ken

/ cub cadet rzt 50 trany problem #9  
Ken,

I would recommend contacting your troy bilt dealer. Hydrogear relates a lot of those "loss of power" issues with contaminated fluid. Changing it out and putting drive system plus or 20w50 oil in it normally corrects the issue. Also, hydrogear now offers individual parts. Minus all that the unit is still under troy bilt warranty