cub won't stay running

/ cub won't stay running #11  
If this model has safety sensors on the seat, on the reverse , on the mowing deck, or any other safety sensor, it would be my guess that one of the sensors is defective. The solenoid on the bottom of the carb is a fuel shutoff valve. When you turn off the ignition switch, it cuts power to this solenoid, and it closes, stopping fuel from going up the main jet to the engine. A safety sensor will also shut this valve if it becomes engaged, even with switch on. Such as if you get out of your seat with PTO or mowing deck engaged. This would explain why it runs with fuel added to the carb artificially. Check all your safety sensors.

/ cub won't stay running #12  
Are there any wires going to your carb?? If so you could have a stuck fuel shutoff switch.. Pull off your carb top and clean it with carb cleaner.. If it is still stuck, get a replacement.

/ cub won't stay running
thank you I will check the safety switches again I know I disabled the seat and reverse blades its been so long I don't recall what I did(old timers) grin.
I had the carb off 2 or 3 times cleaning it, the solenoid seems to work fine
the reason I thought maybe it was the ignition switch I was not getting any voltage to the solenoid when the key was in the run postion I didn't know a safety switch stopped voltage to the solenoid.
thanks Ken:)

/ cub won't stay running
guys I found the problem there was a corroded and burnt connector (red wire) in the ignition swtch harness connector, cleaned it up put together
and fired right up. I want to thank everyone for their help. ken

/ cub won't stay running #15  
Ken, glad to hear you got it running:)

/ cub won't stay running #16  
My 2518 did the exact same thing. Did all the obvious carb cleaning, fuel filter, etc. Eventually ran a jumper from battery to fuel shutoff solenoid and could hear the solenoid cycle. Turned it over and it ran fine... Then I pulled the blade connection off of the back of the ignition switch a few times and now it all works as advertised. Seems with a poor connection - the fuel shutoff only opens during start - with no juice to keep it open during run. Lots of chasing my tail - but it seems to have fixed it.

/ cub won't stay running #17  
On some machines the solenoid only gets power from the key switch when its in the start position and after the engine starts and the key is in the run position the solenoid is energized by the charging system.

/ cub won't stay running #18  
hope someone can help my cub model cv730s lt1050 it won't stay running it starts right up then dies, seems to be fuel related I can squirt gas down the carb and it stays running until I stop. the gas is fresh and has new plugs a new fuel filter. thanks

/ cub won't stay running #19  
1) make sure your afterfire solenoid at the carb bottom is being energized when ignition sw is turned on - you should hear a sharp click from the carb area.
2) if still probs, disconnect fuel supply line right at carb, pull spark plug wires and crank while catching fuel in container - look for good flow/qty.
3) if still probs, remove carb, disasm. Soak overnite in liquid carb cleaner. Using small dia stiff brass wire and magnifier probe EVERY passageway/orifice in each component, blowing sam out with compressed air to remove any crud. Rebuild carb with appropriate kit using only new gaskets/needle/seats.

post back with details if still trouble.

/ cub won't stay running #20  
ahhhh... the switch harness! Now we know for future referance, thanks for the final report Ken.