cub won't stay running

/ cub won't stay running #1  

kens41

hope someone can help my cub 3184 won't stay running it starts right up then dies, seems to be fuel related I can squirt gas down the carb and it stays running until I stop. the gas is fresh I took the carb off and cleaned it out that didn't help I'm lost there is a small solenoid device at the base of the carb don't know what that is plugs aren't the greatest but I don't think that is problem any help would be appreciated.
thanks Ken

/ cub won't stay running
I took the filter off and blew through it fairly easy, quess I could try a new one thanks

/ cub won't stay running #4  
How about the main jet? Have you cleaned out the jet? That will cause it to start and then stall right away.

/ cub won't stay running #5  
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check the little vent in the gas cap. and maybe disconnect fuel hose at tank and carb to blow compressed air through it. If you're nimble you can leave the hose right there where it lays...just disconnect is all.

/ cub won't stay running
I'ved tried everything the seems to be spotless after cleaning the filter changed gas lines blowed out don't know what to try next it does run for about 5 seconds at idle then dies, anyone know of anything else to try?
thanks for all the help. ken

/ cub won't stay running #7  
Try hooking up a different fuel supply. When I'm troubleshooting a fuel problem the first thing I do is hook up a gravity feed fuel supply. I have a old gas tank off a push mower just for this but you can use anything that you can hook a 1/4" fuel line to. I used to use a empty gear oil bottle with the tapered cap stuck into the fuel line. Hook your new fuel supply directly to the line going to the carb and see if it will stay running. If it does connect it to the fuel filter inlet and just keep working your way back to the tank and you'll find where the restriction is. If it doesn't run with it connected direct to the carb then ether the fuel shutoff solenoid isn't working or if it has a needle and seat it might be stuck. If it doesn't run with it hooked to the fuel filter then I change the fuel pump.

/ cub won't stay running
thanks I will try that tomorrow

/ cub won't stay running
tried hooking up a seperate fuel fuel tank that didn't help, the solenoid on the carb is working I was wondering could it be an inigtion switch problem?
ken

/ cub won't stay running #10  
Can you keep engine running on choke?..check see if choke stay open.